We are installing a new compiler for Cobol Microfocus on our HP-UX 11.23 and Oracle 11.1.0.7 We are on Itanium 64 bit. We have the option of installing 32bit or 64 bit Microfocus v5.0

I was going to make an SR, but thought i'd get a quicker response from the list.

This is the SQLPLUS banner:
SQL*Plus: Release 11.1.0.7.0 - Production on Fri Mar 19 09:05:31 2010
Copyright (c) 1982, 2008, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.1.0.7.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options

it says 64bit, but, to tell the truth, i never really looked into what's installed... which compiler should we install? 32bit or 64bit Microfocus? i want to say 64bit especially since it's Itanium... but, i'm not sure, or what's certified/recommended. I could only find a Metalink Doc that says Micro v5.0 is certified with 11.1.0.7 on HP-uX Itanium. Nothing about bit.
Thanks,
Lyall

Search Discussions

  • Pankaj Jain at Mar 19, 2010 at 1:22 pm
    Please check with you vendor first if MF Cobol is compatible /certified
    with 11g.

    From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
    On Behalf Of
    lyallbarbour_at_sanfranmail.com
    Sent: Friday, March 19, 2010 9:08 AM
    To: oracle-l@freelists.org
    Subject: compilers and oracle 11g

    Hi Everyone,
    Kinda off topic.
[...]

  • Lyallbarbour_at_sanfranmail.com at Mar 19, 2010 at 1:26 pm
    it is, metalink doc # 43208.1
    version 5 is certified by HP-UX Itanium, ORacle 11.1. I just don't know if 32bit or 64. I would think 64.

[...]

  • Pankaj Jain at Mar 19, 2010 at 1:47 pm
    Is anybody using this Oracle product, I want to know if anyone has done
    some benchmarking and compared this with other similar product in the
    market. Which one is the fastest.
    What are the bottlenecks / glitches / and so called " special ORACLE
    FEATURES " (bugs).

    I would really appreciate your input on this. Since in the
    telecommunication industry we are planning to use it to improve the
    response time.

    Thanks and Regards
    -Pankaj
  • Goulet, Richard at Mar 19, 2010 at 1:31 pm
    Lyall,

    I do believe that if you installed the 64 bit database binaries then
    the 64 bit compatible pre compiler was installed as well. Regrettably
    the darn thing isn't nice enough to tell you.

    BTW: who uses Cobol any more??? Another shadow from the dark side.

    Dick Goulet
    Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
    PAREXEL International

[...]

  • Kathy duret at Mar 19, 2010 at 2:12 pm
    Believe it or not alot of shops still have Cobol, Powerbuilder and even VB 5

    the old if it isn't broken don't fix it attitude... or my personal favorite.....
    Well it has worked fine for 10 years why do we need to mess with it?

    Been there, had to support it... still drinking to erase those memories... or should I say nightmares

[...]

  • Lyallbarbour_at_sanfranmail.com at Mar 19, 2010 at 1:48 pm
    on a side note, what should my LD_LIBRARY_PATH be set to? if i'm on 64-bit 11.1.0.7? $ORACLE_HOME/lib? or $ORACLE_HOME/lib32?
    Thanks,
    Lyall

    I would think that since your hardware is Itanium that it would have to be 64-bit.

    Jeffrey Beckstrom
    Database Administrator
    Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
    1240 W. 6th Street
    Cleveland, Ohio 44113
    "Goulet, Richard" 3/19/10 9:31 AM >>>
[...]

grouporacle-l @