thanks for the responses. So for the delayed responses... been out of the
office.

The problem isn't the latch waits. The problem is that the latch waits are
caused by the CATSEARCH query being executed for each row in a table. I can
see this by running a 10046 trace, doing a tail -f on the 10046 trace and
seeing that the catsearch trace runs over and over again.

I kill the query part way through it and then I do a grep and wc -l to count
the number of executions of the CATSEARCH query and it was into the
millions.

These re-execution of the CATSEARCH for what appears to be EVERY row in one
of my tables appears to be what is causing the latching. Since I get the
latch wait while the constant fetching is occurring. This appears to be
extremely inefficient. It appears to work like a typical user created
function in where clause. So it executes for each row.

For the guy who talked about the settings of the domain index. I don't know
alot about domain indexes. What are you referring to?