Context: 11Gr1, Windows Server 2003
I'm curious if this (see subject) is done at all.
My background is primarily using Unix/Linux as the OS for a database server.
And I see how having multiple production databases, supported by a single,
or even multiple oracle_homes, is not an issue on Unix/Linux.
Given that there is enough memory + cpu to service the instances.

But how is this in the Windows space?
Should I go there?
Or stay far away from it?

Any comments are appreciated.

Toon

--
Toon Koppelaars
RuleGen BV

(co)Author: "Applied Mathematics for Database Professionals"
www.RuleGen.com/pls/apex/f?p=14265:13

  • Andre van Winssen at Jan 25, 2010 at 4:49 pm
    Hi Toon,

    In a nutshell..

    You can have as many oracle databases/oracle_home's as you want on windows
    2003. No limits, same as Unix/Linux

    Each running database is a single multithreaded windows process
    (oracle.exe)

    Each database has an associated windows service so that's how you manage
    automatic startup after a boot

    "Dos box" sqlplus is my own favourite SQL CLI because of command history.

    As for HA, next to RAC and Dataguard there's also Failsafe, based on MSCS.

    Andre

    <http://www.RuleGen.com> www.RuleGen.com
    <http://TheHelsinkiDeclaration.blogspot.com>
    TheHelsinkiDeclaration.blogspot.com

    (co)Author: "Applied Mathematics for Database Professionals"
    <http://www.RuleGen.com/pls/apex/f?p=14265:13>
    www.RuleGen.com/pls/apex/f?p=14265:13

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle