I've been remiss in deleting old objects from my recycle bin. At this
point I have over 2GB of objects in the recycle bin. I did 'purge
dba_recyclebin' as sysadmin and now the recycle bin is empty. However,
when I look at the space, I don't see that I got 2GB back. I know when I
delete from a table, I have to exp/imp or 'alter table move' to see the
extra space freed up in my datafile. Is there a similar process for the
recycle bin? (I've trying searching for the database online documentation
on MOS but I get a results page with nothing in it. *sigh*)

Thanks!
Sharon Kovac | RotoMetrics
Phone: +1 636 587 3600 | Fax: +1 636 587 3701800 Howerton Lane | Eureka, MO 63025 | USA
www.rotometrics.com

This e-mail message is intended only for the personal use of the recipient(s)
named above. This message is confidential. If you are not an intended
recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by
e-mail and delete the original message.

.

Search Discussions

  • Sharon.Kovac_at_Rotometrics.com at Dec 9, 2009 at 1:49 pm
    To get the size of the objects in the recycle bin I was looking at
    dba_segments where segment_name like 'BIN%' . Before and after the purge,
    I was looking at the space from dba_free_space. There was no change in
    dba_free_space after I purged the recycle bin.

    Thanks for your responses!

    Sharon

    Jared Still
    12/08/2009 04:28 PM

    Sharon.Kovac_at_rotometrics.com
    cc
    oracle-l@freelists.org
    Subject
    Re: reclaiming space from recycle bin

    However, when I look at the space, I don't see that I got 2GB back.

    Where are you looking?

    If at the file level, the space will not be reclaimed, as Oracle isn't
    giving space back to the OS.

    The reclaimed space will be extents that are again available for use.

    Reclaimed space will be visible via either dba_extents or dba_segments.

    Jared Still
    Home Page: http://jaredstill.com

    Sharon Kovac | RotoMetrics
    Phone: +1 636 587 3600 | Fax: +1 636 587 3701800 Howerton Lane | Eureka, MO 63025 | USA
    www.rotometrics.com

    This e-mail message is intended only for the personal use of the recipient(s)
    named above. This message is confidential. If you are not an intended
    recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have
    received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by
    e-mail and delete the original message.

    .
  • Allen, Brandon at Dec 9, 2009 at 4:14 pm
    This is documented behavior:

    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14192/flashptr004.htm#sthref615

    "Recycle bin objects are not counted as used space. If you query the space views to obtain the amount of free space in the database, objects in the recycle bin are counted as free space."

    Regards,
    Brandon

    From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org On Behalf Of Sharon.Kovac_at_Rotometrics.com

    There was no change in dba_free_space after I purged the recycle bin.

  • Sharon.Kovac_at_Rotometrics.com at Dec 9, 2009 at 4:24 pm
    Excellent! Thank you very much!

    "Allen, Brandon"
    12/09/2009 10:18 AM
    Please respond to
    Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com

    "Sharon.Kovac_at_Rotometrics.com",
    "oracle-l@freelists.org"
    cc

    From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
    On Behalf Of Sharon.Kovac_at_Rotometrics.com

    There was no change in dba_free_space after I purged the recycle bin.

    attachments hereto. Please advise immediately if you or your employer do
    not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions,
    conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to
    the official business of this company shall be understood as neither given
    nor endorsed by it.

    Sharon Kovac | RotoMetrics
    Phone: +1 636 587 3600 | Fax: +1 636 587 3701800 Howerton Lane | Eureka, MO 63025 | USA
    www.rotometrics.com

    This e-mail message is intended only for the personal use of the recipient(s)
    named above. This message is confidential. If you are not an intended
    recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have
    received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by
    e-mail and delete the original message.

    .
  • Jared Still at Dec 9, 2009 at 6:36 pm
    Interesting, I did not recall that.

    As I am currently recovering a database to clone so as
    to retrieve a single row, I don't have time to look this up:

    Does the recycle bin get purged automatically if the space
    is needed?

    I know, I should already know that...

    *From:* oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:
    oracle-l-bounce@freelists.org] *On Behalf Of *Sharon.Kovac_at_Rotometrics.com

    There was no change in dba_free_space after I purged the recycle bin.

    ------------------------------
    consent to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions
    business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed
    by it.
  • Dan Norris at Dec 9, 2009 at 6:57 pm
    I tested that once and the answer is yes. Unless things have changed in
    recent releases, recycle bin is not like the Windows recycle bin. In
    Oracle's recycle bin, things are removed (i.e. "emptied") if something comes
    along requesting more space than is available.

    Dan

    *From:* oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:
    oracle-l-bounce@freelists.org] *On Behalf Of *
    Sharon.Kovac_at_Rotometrics.com

    There was no change in dba_free_space after I purged the recycle bin.

    consent to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions
    business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed
    by it.
  • Jared Still at Dec 9, 2009 at 7:48 pm