On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 9:42 AM, BERTHOLD Jean wrote:
Hello everyone,

Since Metalink is out, (I don’t have any access on it since last week... I
come on this forum to get help !

My problem :

I have to install a new Oracle server with 8GB of memory pre-installed.

·         If I install Windows server 2008 on this server, only 4 GB of
memory will be recognized, am I true ?
indeterminate.
MS W2K8 Server R1 is available in both 32 and 64 bit editions.
If you were to install MS W2K8 Server R1 32 bit Enterprise Edition, 8
GB would be recognized.

btw, 8 GB of physical memory today is the equivalent of 2 GB with W2K.
Expect the OS cache to have all of that allocated by default.
How much memory do you expect to allocate to user apps, such as oracle.exe?
·         If I install Windows server 2008 R2 (which is 64 bits)  on this
server, all my memory (8GB) will be recognized, am I true ?
I was not able to install Oracle 10g R2 on MS W2K8 R2 x64 Standard Edition.
Prior to the Metalink changeover, its support status in Certify was
listed as "projected".

Install on MS Windows Server 2008 R1 x64 Standard Edition.
It will recognize up to 32 GB of physical memory.

How many cores/threads does that server have?
If you have less than say 2 GB per core I'd start by requesting more
physical memory.

Questions :

1.       Can I install Oracle Database 11g Release 1 (for Microsoft Windows
32 bits)  on Windows server 2008 R2 (64 bits) ?
I didn't look that one up under "Certify" before the MOS cutover and I
can certify that I can't get to that part of MOS now.
2.       If yes, is it fully compatible AND fully supported by Oracle ?

These questions because I heard there are some issues about Oracle 64 bits
releases on windows servers

I’m familiar with Oracle on Solaris platform, but nothing on Windows
servers.

Thanks for your advice and have a nice week-end !

Jean Berthold

Ingénieur système

CISEL Informatique SA

Rte de la Sablière 1

CH - 1753 Matran

Tél. direct   +41 (0)26 557 59 91

Tél.             +41 (0)26 557 59 00

Fax             +41 (0)26 557 59 01

jean.berthold_at_cisel.ch

www.cisel.ch

Confidentialité :

Ce message est uniquement destiné à la/aux personne/s à laquelle /auxquelles
il est adressé. Toute divulgation, copie ou autre usage d'un message et de
ses annexes par une personne non autorisée est strictement interdit. Si vous
recevez un tel message par erreur, nous vous remercions d'en aviser
l'expéditeur et de supprimer l'information de vos ordinateurs.

P  Pensez à l'environnement avant d'imprimer ce courriel !

  • Alex Fatkulin at Nov 13, 2009 at 3:18 pm
    Oracle 32bit seems to be certified on Win 64bit (at least according to
    MOS) but I see no reason in going that route, especially "because I
    heard there are some issues". Like what kind of issues?

    Just go 64-bits.

    Note that 10GR2 download for 2008/Vista is separate from the "other"
    windows releases. My guess would be that it should work on 2008 R2 as
    that's just an incremental update to 2008. Note that R2 comes in
    64-bit flavor only (as 32-bit server hardware has been unavailable for
    quite some time now that's unlikely to impact you).

    Memory limits can be found here:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx
  • Niall Litchfield at Nov 13, 2009 at 4:37 pm
    Entirely agreed. There is no point doing any more 32bit windows or Oracle
    installs (unless you really like being hamstrung by a combination of 32bit
    addressable memory and the thread based architecture on windows.

    Niall

    --
    Alex Fatkulin,
    http://afatkulin.blogspot.com

    Niall Litchfield
    Oracle DBA
    http://www.orawin.info

  • Mhthomas at Nov 15, 2009 at 12:54 am
    Paul,

    As shown by "mouse over" in MOS article ID 223718.1 (Oracle Server
    Availability and Certification MATRIX [ID 223718.1]) the certification
    matrices have addresses with "metalink.oracle.com", e.g. "hxxp://
    metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/cert_matrices1.addtl_matrix?p_html_source=0&p_version=9.2&p_status_id=1&p_rds_id=-140&p_product_line_id=912
    "

    Guess we won't be browsing those, will we? .

    Mike

    PS: Cheeze
    PPS: Now we can have a party, whine and cheeze - that is... ROFL

    Questions :

    1. Can I install Oracle Database 11g Release 1 (for Microsoft
    Windows
    32 bits) on Windows server 2008 R2 (64 bits) ?
    I didn't look that one up under "Certify" before the MOS cutover and I
    can certify that I can't get to that part of MOS now.
  • Guillermo Alan Bort at Nov 15, 2009 at 1:19 am
    Funny thing. the domain is correctly forwarded to: hxxps://
    support.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/cert_matrices1.addtl_matrix?p_html_source=0&p_version=9.2&p_status_id=1&p_rds_id=-140&p_product_line_id=912

    However:
    Not Found The requested URL /metalink/plsql/cert_matrices1.addtl_matrix was
    not found on this server.

    Oracle-Application-Server-10g/10.1.3.1.0 Oracle-HTTP-Server Server at
    support.oracle.com Port 443

    hehehe

    Alan Bort
    Oracle Certified Professional
    As shown by "mouse over" in MOS article ID 223718.1 (Oracle Server
    Availability and Certification MATRIX [ID 223718.1]) the certification
    matrices have addresses with "metalink.oracle.com", e.g. "hxxp://
    metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/cert_matrices1.addtl_matrix?p_html_source=0&p_version=9.2&p_status_id=1&p_rds_id=-140&p_product_line_id=912
    "

    Guess we won't be browsing those, will we? .

    Mike

    PS: Cheeze
    PPS: Now we can have a party, whine and cheeze - that is... ROFL

    Questions :

    1. Can I install Oracle Database 11g Release 1 (for Microsoft
    Windows
    32 bits) on Windows server 2008 R2 (64 bits) ?
    I didn't look that one up under "Certify" before the MOS cutover and I
    can certify that I can't get to that part of MOS now.
  • Mhthomas at Nov 15, 2009 at 1:40 am
    Alan,

    Yep. Somewhat disappointing, missing basic web URL content, a week after the
    final production cut over.

    Would you keep *your* job with these bugs in *your* primary customer support
    product - one week after production roll out? Sure you would. Just sayin...
    ROFL

    Mike

    PS: Cheeze.;)

    On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Guillermo Alan Bort

[...]

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedNov 13, '09 at 2:57p
activeNov 15, '09 at 1:40a