I am trying to build a test lab with Oracle RAC:
I have 2 servers dedicated for this purpose each with 2 gigabit interfaces.
They have 1 CPU Quad core with 8GB memory, they will be running RHEL4 64-bit.
Do you have any recommendation for networking and storage equipment that is reasonably priced (~$500) ?
It would be great if you could provide model numbers or high level specs.
Thank you
-Upendra

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222985/direct/01/

Search Discussions

  • Martin Bach at Oct 22, 2009 at 1:40 pm
    Hi!

    Upendra N wrote:
    I am trying to build a test lab with Oracle RAC:
    I have 2 servers dedicated for this purpose each with 2 gigabit interfaces.
    They have 1 CPU Quad core with 8GB memory, they will be running RHEL4
    64-bit.
    Do you have any recommendation for networking and storage equipment that
    is reasonably priced (~$500) ?
    Why don't you ty to use openfiler or another free iSCSI implementation?
    Easy enough for me to set up and all you need is Ethernet cables. If you
    are interested in openfiler, you might want to check the following blog
    entries (WARNING: shameless plug here!)

    http://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com/2009/10/19/getting-started-with-iscsi-part-i-openfiler-fundamentals/
    http://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com/2009/10/21/getting-started-with-iscsi-part-ii-presenting-storage/
    http://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com/2009/10/22/getting-started-with-iscsi-part-iii-mounting-storage/

    You could also use your machines to run Oracle VM and virtualise RAC on
    them, which is supported and documented on metalink,.
    It would be great if you could provide model numbers or high level specs.
    Then again, on the other hand there are lots of small NAS appliances out
    that that can do iSCSI too. Openfiler requires that you already have
    hardware available.
    Thank you
    -Upendra
    Hope that helps.
  • Niall Litchfield at Oct 22, 2009 at 3:38 pm
    I entirely second this recommendation for your setup - windows users will
    probably want to look at starwind free edition which supports the persistent
    reservations used by shared windows 2008 storage clustering. but yes this is
    a great approach.

    On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Martin Bach

    --
    Martin Bach

    http://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com

    Niall Litchfield
    Oracle DBA
    http://www.orawin.info

  • Andrew Kerber at Oct 22, 2009 at 4:05 pm
    And I second the recommendation for openfiler. I have done this several
    times, both virtually and with physical hardware. I have an old but
    reliable machine I used for the physical openfiler, and it worked just
    fine. The only trick is finding the appropriate documentation on how to
    configure the iscsi targets in openfiler, but you can probably figure it out
    on your own if you look through the web front end enough. The basic trick I
    found is that you have to enable the iscsi target server before you can
    create a target and assign shares to it..

    On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Niall Litchfield <
[...]

    Andrew W. Kerber

  • Martin Bach at Oct 23, 2009 at 10:49 am
    Hi there,

    my setup is 1 Core 2 duo 2.4GHz quad core with 8G of memory and 2.5TB of
    raw disk space (SATAII).

    All I use is Oracle VM, my RAC nodes are paravirtualised RHEL 5.4 domUs,
    and I don't need any iscsi at all for that setup. Check the following
    metalink note:

    Steps to Create Test RAC Setup On Oracle VM
    Doc ID: 742603.1

    Even though the document says it's for 10g to 11.1 you can install RAC
    11.2 on it (have it running here).

    I presented about that topic at UKOUG RAC SIG some time ago, I can
    forward you the slides if you need more detail.

    Regards,

    Martin

    --
    Martin Bach
    OCM 10g
    http://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com

    Upendra N wrote:
    Thank you Martin.
    Pardon my ignorance, what kind of storage device are you using?
    Do I need to have a NAS supported equipment or would it work with a USB
    device type equipment?

    -Upendra
  • Upendra N at Oct 23, 2009 at 11:17 am
    Martin et al- I will investigate Oracle VM.
    Thanks
    -Upendra

    Upendra N wrote:
    Thank you Martin.
    Pardon my ignorance, what kind of storage device are you using?
    Do I need to have a NAS supported equipment or would it work with a USB
    device type equipment?

    -Upendra

    Windows 7: It helps you do more. Explore Windows 7.
    http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/default.aspx?ocid=PID24727::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_evergreen3:102009

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedOct 22, '09 at 2:27a