We are planning an upgrade to Agile (an Oracle product now)
This is an Product LifeCycle Management tool for those of you not familiar
with it.

The database in question is on x86-64 RH Linux 4.

The Agile docs recommend setting the sysctl parameter* noexec_user_stack=1*

In short, this parameter is makes the stack non-executable to help
prevent buffer overflow exploits.

I can find a lot of info about setting this on Solaris, but very little
about doing so on Linux.

Has anyone here used this parameter on Linux?

Did you discover any problems in doing so?

Thanks,

Jared Still
Home Page: http://jaredstill.com

Search Discussions

  • William Muriithi at Oct 9, 2009 at 8:42 pm

    In short, this parameter is makes the stack non-executable to help
    prevent buffer overflow exploits.
    I can find a lot of info about setting this on Solaris, but very little
    about doing so on Linux.
    Has anyone here used this parameter on Linux?
    I think the closest thing to the parameter that you are looking above on Linux is "kernel.exec-shield"

    Its enabled by default and should therefore not be a problem

    William

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedOct 9, '09 at 7:15p
activeOct 9, '09 at 8:42p
websiteoracle.com

2 users in discussion

Jared Still: 1 post William Muriithi: 1 post