What do most people do:

Keep using /etc/system in Solaris 10 or the Resouce Control Facility? Or do people ignore the parameters and not set any in /etc/system or the Resouce Control?

I have a unix admin saying nothing needs to be set because they read that /etc/system is not used in Solaris 10 anymore. Below is from a doc on metalink. At the minimun the new kernel parameters for Solaris 10 need to be set. Is this correct?

Is NOEXEC_USER_STACK 1 set in /etc/system or the Resouce Control?

SEMMNI 100 ***
SEMMNS 1024 **
SEMMSL 256 ***

SEMVMX 32767 **

SHMMAX 4294967295

SHMMIN 1 *

SHMMNI 100***

SHMSEG 10 *

NOEXEC_USER_STACK 1

* obsolete in Solaris 9 and 10
** obsolete in Solaris 10
*** default value in Solaris 10 is already larger

Note: for Solaris 10 SHMMAX which is now set through the Resource Control Facility not /etc/system. Refer to the 10gR2 for Solaris SPARC Installation guide for steps to do this, as well as, the Release Notes which has corrections:

10.2 Install Guides and Release Notes

Here are the new names of the kernel parameters for Solaris 10 (Solaris 9 equivalents are in parentheses):

project.max-sem-ids 100 (semmni)
process.max-sem-nsems 256 (semmsl)
project.max-shm-memory 4294967295 (shmmax)
project.max-shm-ids 100 (shmmni)
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/

Search Discussions

  • D'Hooge Freek at Oct 8, 2009 at 6:34 am
    It depends
    On most single instance installations I tend to use the projects, but on rac environments I put it in /etc/system. Reason for this is that the project group used depends if the instance is started by the cluster or by you.

    regards,

    Freek D'Hooge
    Uptime
    Oracle Database Administrator
    e-mail: freek.dhooge_at_uptime.be
    tel. +32 (0)3 451 23 82
    http://www.uptime.be
    disclaimer

[...]

    Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now. --

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedOct 8, '09 at 1:51a
activeOct 8, '09 at 6:34a