The latest version is available for download here:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/sql/index21_EA1.html

New Feature List can be found here:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/sql_developer/files/featurelist.htm

Of particular interest to me is the unit testing framework they have added.
I have no details, but a tutorial can be found here:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/11gr2_db_prod/appdev/sqldev/sqldev_unit_test/sqldev_unit_test.htm

Would be a great thing if we could encourage more testing in the database
world.

chet

chet justice

813.863.1213

http://oraclenerd.com
http://twitter.com/oraclenerd
http://www.linkedin.com/in/chetjustice

Search Discussions

  • Rich Jesse at Sep 25, 2009 at 1:42 pm
    And yet another version of Java required.

    I think "JVM" should stand for Java Version Manager. Arg!

    Rich

    Disclaimer: In addition to not being a Java fan, I'm a Toad bigot... :)
  • Michael Schmitt at Sep 25, 2009 at 2:27 pm
    Hi All,

    Can anyone point me to some good info on best practices for raid 10 for oracle (mainly stripes sizing)?

    Background:
    We are going to be testing some raid 10 and our SAN Admin set the stripe size to 512 bytes. From what I have read in the past, I was thinking Oracle would do better off closer to a stripe size of *multibock_read_count, however it has been awhile since I looked into it. I know it always depends, but the 512 bytes doesn't sound correct to me

    Thanks
  • Taylor, Chris David at Sep 25, 2009 at 3:36 pm
    How good/knowledgable (sp?) is your SAN admin?

    There is stripe depth AND stripe width.

    You guys need to make sure you are talking about the same things. I have found in the past that communication on this subject can be difficult between DBAs and storage admins.

    You'll need to familiarize yourself as much as possible with storage techniques PARTICULAR to your PARTICULAR SAN (HP, EMC, IBM, whatever).

    You may want to get a storage tech on the phone from your vendor (an actual techie) and have your storage admin with you to discuss questions. INVALUABLE in my opinion to do this together with a vendor tech who does customer setups.

    Chris Taylor
    Sr. Oracle DBA
    Ingram Barge Company
    Nashville, TN 37205
    Office: 615-517-3355
    Cell: 615-354-4799
    Email: chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com

    CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the information on any medium.

    Can anyone point me to some good info on best practices for raid 10 for oracle (mainly stripes sizing)?

    Background:
    We are going to be testing some raid 10 and our SAN Admin set the stripe size to 512 bytes. From what I have read in the past, I was thinking Oracle would do better off closer to a stripe size of *multibock_read_count, however it has been awhile since I looked into it. I know it always depends, but the 512 bytes doesn't sound correct to me

    Thanks

  • Rich Jesse at Sep 25, 2009 at 4:17 pm

    We are going to be testing some raid 10 and our SAN Admin set the stripe
    size to 512 bytes. From what I have read in the past, I was thinking Oracle
    would do better off closer to a stripe size of
    *multibock_read_count, however it has been awhile since I
    looked into it. I know it always depends, but the 512 bytes doesn't sound
    correct to me
    We went through this not too long ago. The answer is, as usual, "it
    depends". It's best for you and your team to experiment with different
    values to see which is "best". Keep in mind Oracle's specific IO patterns,
    e.g. indexed reads versus full table scans for reading and DBWR versus redos
    on the writing.

    There are tools like Orion to help evaluate IO. They are a great start to
    eliminate some configurations, but I found generating my own SQL gave me
    more realistic expectations.

    If I sound like I'm being somewhat vague and generic, it's because I am!
    This is a HUGE topic that will require you and your team to do their
    homework. Like another poster mentioned, involve your vendors! You'll
    hopefully find that they are interested in helping you, if only to prevent
    some hollering later on... :)

    One final note -- even though I view myself as a BAARF-type, I was not able
    to justify the expense of RAID-10 over RAID-5 for our little IBM DS5300 SAN
    with reasonably beefy POWER6 hardware pushing it, taking into account
    performance, reliability, and of course cost. Waaay too brief, I know, but
    my point is to thoroughly investigate all of your options.

    GL!

    Rich
  • Michael Schmitt at Sep 25, 2009 at 4:29 pm
    Thanks Rich,

    I agree it "depends", as it does in many situations. We are in a slightly different position here where our setup will need to be used by all of our databases. We will not have the option to customize depending on the system. Luckily we do not have systems with the heavy work load that others on the list probably deal with. Therefore, we are just trying to look for a generic approach that might fit a number of different systems. I was thinking 512 bytes might actually hurt us, while a generic setup with a larger stripe size would be more ideal.

    Our current setup is "Here is some RAID-5, have fun that is your only option". We might end up sticking with that option, but have decided to try a generic raid 10 setup to compare it against what we currently have.

    Thanks,
    Mike

[...]

  • Cary Millsap at Sep 25, 2009 at 4:29 pm
    Michael,

    The paper at
    http://method-r.com/downloads/doc_details/15-configuring-oracle-server-for-vldb-cary-millsapis
    not last thing you should read, but I believe it will help you if you
    read it. Section 3.3 addresses your question head-on.

    Cary Millsap
    Method R Corporation

    http://method-r.com
    http://carymillsap.blogspot.com
    http://twitter.com/cary_millsap

    On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 11:17 AM, Rich Jesse <
[...]

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedSep 24, '09 at 9:08p
activeSep 25, '09 at 4:29p