Hi all

We are running a 4 nodes RAC on Sun Solaris 10, each node with 16 quadcore
CPU and 512GB memory. There are 12 database in this Cluster.

We have observed that some instances are running with low activity and some
needs more horsepower when batch processes kick in. Basically in some nodes
we are wasting resources which can be used for other instances.

The way we have configured the databases are setting same SGA in all nodes
so in those idle instances memory is wasted.

We are considering reorganize the memory distributions and
databases/instances distribution. For example for database APP1 just
configure two active instances and two passive, for the heavy OLTP system
all 4 nodes etc.

I have been considering disabling the instance startup for the passive
nodes. What is the the better method, reconfigure the database in two nodes
only by using dbca or disabling the instance startup? (srvctl disable
instance)

TIA

Search Discussions

  • Jeremy Schneider at Sep 7, 2009 at 4:02 pm
    Personally I'd just use srvctl - probably makes it much easier to
    "relocate" instances.

    In fact 11gR2 will do this for you automatically. For those who haven't
    had a chance to look closely yet, RAC has some major new features. One
    of them (policy-based cluster mgmt) will automatically re-allocate a
    node between two cluster DBs by shutting down and starting up instances
    - driven by response times - and of course within limits that you set.
    Look for "server pools" in the docs. Pretty interesting-looking new
    feature; I think it's one of the most significant of the release. :)

    -Jeremy

    --
    LSC

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedSep 7, '09 at 11:04a
activeSep 7, '09 at 4:02p
websiteoracle.com

2 users in discussion

LS Cheng: 1 post Jeremy Schneider: 1 post