Hello everybody:

Can anyone point me to a document/article/book explaining how to use OID to
resolve service names instead of tnsnames.ora?

thank you

Gene Gurevich

  • Bobak, Mark at Aug 19, 2009 at 3:30 pm
    Hi Gene,

    OID is a bear, and if all you want to do is use it for a centralized repository for service name resolution, I strongly recommend you look at:
    http://www.shutdownabort.com/tnsmanager/

    It will take about 30 minutes to set up, tops. It doesn't even require installation of an Oracle client.

    I've been running it in all environments (dev, preprod, and prod) for over a year. No problems, no hiccups, no crashes.

    I love it.

    Hope that helps,

    -Mark

    Can anyone point me to a document/article/book explaining how to use OID to
    resolve service names instead of tnsnames.ora?

    thank you

    Gene Gurevich

  • Goulet, Richard at Aug 19, 2009 at 5:17 pm
    One headache with tnsmanager. It looks at db1.fsg.us and db1.us as the
    same, namely db1. That was out major headache.

    Dick Goulet
    Senior Oracle DBA
    PAREXEL International

    Can anyone point me to a document/article/book explaining how to use OID
    resolve service names instead of tnsnames.ora?

    thank you

    Gene Gurevich

  • Jared Still at Aug 19, 2009 at 8:00 pm