Hi all,

I have windows XP local machine and in that i have vmware with RHEL 4 . I
would like to practice ASM and for this i need to create raw partition. Do
you people have any docs on this .

Regards

Bala

Search Discussions

  • TESTAJ3_at_nationwide.com at Aug 12, 2009 at 11:38 am
    I used regular files to simulate raw disks,

    download my white paper that I presented at last IOUG conference.

    http://www.teci-it.com/2009_722_Testa_ppr.doc

    joe

    Joe Testa, Oracle Certified Professional
    (Work) 614-677-1668
    (Cell) 614-312-6715

    Interested in helping out your marriage?
    Ask me about "Weekend to Remember"
    Dec 11-13, 2009 here in Columbus.

    I have windows XP local machine and in that i have vmware with RHEL 4 . I
    would like to practice ASM and for this i need to create raw partition. Do
    you people have any docs on this .

    Regards

    Bala
  • Balakrishna Y at Aug 12, 2009 at 11:45 am
    Thank you very much JOE :))

    Will go through your DOC .

    Regards

    Bala

    _______________________________________
    Joe Testa, Oracle Certified Professional
    (Work) 614-677-1668
    (Cell) 614-312-6715

    Interested in helping out your marriage?
    Ask me about "Weekend to Remember"
    Dec 11-13, 2009 here in Columbus.

    I have windows XP local machine and in that i have vmware with RHEL 4 . I
    would like to practice ASM and for this i need to create raw partition. Do
    you people have any docs on this .

    Regards

    Bala
  • Karl Arao at Aug 13, 2009 at 11:10 am
    Just create a pool of disk on the VMware server.. make them the same
    size.. then for RHEL4 on raw (on RHEL5 it's different you have to use
    UDEV)...

    I do the following:

    RHEL4 / OEL4

    Make whole disk partitions

    Sample below....

    [root_at_dg10g1 ~]# fdisk /dev/sdc
    Device contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI
    or OSF disklabel
    Building a new DOS disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only,
    until you decide to write them. After that, of course, the previous
    content won't be recoverable.

    The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 9529.
    There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
    and could in certain setups cause problems with:
    1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
    2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
    Warning: invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be

    corrected by w(rite)

    Command (m for help): p

    Disk /dev/sdc: 78.3 GB, 78383153152 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9529 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

    Command (m for help): n
    Command action
    e extended
    p primary partition (1-4)
    Partition number (1-4): 1
    First cylinder (1-9529, default 1):
    Using default value 1
    Last cylinder or +size or +sizeM or +sizeK (1-9529, default 9529):
    Using default value 9529

    Command (m for help): p

    Disk /dev/sdc: 78.3 GB, 78383153152 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9529 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdc1 1 9529 76541661 83 Linux

    Command (m for help): w
    The partition table has been altered!

    Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.
    Syncing disks.

    2) Add entry on /etc/sysconfig/rawdevices

    [root_at_dbrocaix01 ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/rawdevices
    # This file and interface are deprecated.
    # Applications needing raw device access should open regular
    # block devices with O_DIRECT.
    # raw device bindings
    # format:
    #
    # example: /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/sda1
    # /dev/raw/raw2 8 5

    /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/sdc1
    /dev/raw/raw2 /dev/sdd1
    /dev/raw/raw3 /dev/sde1
    /dev/raw/raw4 /dev/sdf1

    3) Add entry on /etc/rc.local to change ownership of the disks upon startup

    [root_at_dbrocaix01 ~]# cat /etc/rc.local
    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
    # You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
    # want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

    touch /var/lock/subsys/local

    # ASM DISKS CHOWN AND CHMOD
    chown oracle:dba /dev/sdc1
    chmod 660 /dev/sdc1