Sorry that this is a little off-topic, but I wanted to get opinions on
running oracle on a laptop.

I will use it for conducting occasional (overhead projected) training
sessions running sqlplus on 11g; as well as browsing pdf's of
documentation and eBooks, and APEX development using firefox.
I don't see a need to run vmware and linux as long as it is stable on
windows. As I spend more and more time browsing blogs, I think a tablet
is a better option for easier one-handed browsing in cafes, on a bus, on
the plane etc.

Being a windows neophyte I have no idea how they cope with grinding 11g
plsql blocks demonstrating analytic functions. Performance is not a
major concern; as long as it is stable it will do just fine.
Portability is a big deal, I don't want to end up leaving it at home
because it is too bulky or heavy. Does anyone run 11g on a tablet; any
regrets; recommendations?

Thanks!
Mark Teehan, Singapore

  • Martin Berger at Aug 6, 2009 at 6:33 pm
    Mark,

    there is no reason why it should not work.
    Remember the not so old days and the memory and CPU you had for oracle
    rdbms.
    I personally even run my playground DBs in a virtual box; it's slow,
    but it works.

    Just make sure you have enough memory so there is no need to swap,
    especially as laptop HDDs are really slow.

    If you meet the installation requirenments, it will work. Otherwise
    you can either spend some time to make it work or save this time :)

    br
    Martin

[...]

    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    Please access the attached hyperlink for an important electronic
    communications disclaimer:

    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =

    application/pkcs7-signature attachment: smime.p7s

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedAug 6, '09 at 7:27a
activeAug 6, '09 at 6:33p
websiteoracle.com

2 users in discussion

Martin Berger: 1 post Teehan, Mark: 1 post