Hey everyone,

So, i'm trying to install the CPU July patch on a 10.2.0.4 Oracle Home for Grid.  It said to install OPatch version 10.2.0.4.4 or higher, so i download p688... whatever patch from Metalink.  When i try to use the OPatch from my patch directory (opatch napply) i get this:

Invoking utility "napply"
Failed to load the patch object.  Possible causes are:
The specified path is not an interim Patch shiphome
Meta-data files are missing from the patch area
Patch location = /home/oracle/patch/OPatch/docs
Details = PatchObject constructor: Input file "/home/oracle/patch/OPatch/docs/etc/config/actions" or "/home/oracle/patch/OPatch/docs/etc/config/inventory" does not exist.
NApply could not load patch from location '/home/oracle/patch/OPatch/docs'
UtilSession failed: PatchObject constructor: Input file "/home/oracle/patch/OPatch/docs/etc/config/actions" or "/home/oracle/patch/OPatch/docs/etc/config/inventory" does not exist.
OPatch failed with error code 73

I've been looking through the 'net and Metalink all morning... I thought i found something on Metalink about "corrupted" patch when you download it, so re-download, but i got the same error...
This is on Unbreakable Linux server, Oracle 10.2.0.5 OMS home and Agent home 10.2.0.1 DB home.

TIA, Lyall

--
How Strong is Your Score?
Click here to see yours for $0!

  • Crisler, Jon at Jul 24, 2009 at 4:11 pm
    Is your inventory and oracle home locations correct ? Also make sure that your platform is correct as well- since the patch is mostly just copy to a directory (for opatch ) I think platform / version checks may not get done.

[...]

  • Maria Gurenich at Jul 24, 2009 at 4:12 pm
    Hi,

    I encountered the very same issue last week. It turned out that the patch
    was downloaded incomplete or transferred to the server in a wrong way.
    Please, try to remove everything related to this patch, all unzipped folders
    and the zip itself and ftp it from metalink directly to your server again.
    That worked for me. Make sure that bite sum is identical.

    On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Lyall Barbour <
[...]

    --Hi
    How Strong is Your Score?
    Click here to see yours for $0!
    By FreeCreditReport.com

  • Lyall Barbour at Jul 24, 2009 at 5:09 pm
    Alright, i'm going to try and FTP it directly, like Maria said.

    This is my Linux box:
    [/home/oracle/patch/OPatch:oracle]_at_blah# uname -a
    Linux blah 2.6.18-128.1.1.0.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue Feb 10 15:02:51 EST 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

    I'm still a little confused from the Grid Control installed... well, the 10.2.0.0 install was ok, but the upgrade to Release 5 was what confused me.  There's 3 ORACLE_HOMES, with the OMS, Agent and the actual database, from what i can see.  When i upgraded the release 5, it had runInstall for OMS home and Agent Home, but nothing for the DB home.  Everything came up after i installed it originally, but those 3 homes is why this OPatch upgrade come to my attention in the first place.

    [/home/oracle/patch/OPatch:oracle] cd $ORACLE_HOME
    [/home/oracle/OracleHomes/oms10g:oracle]# cd OPatch
    [/home/oracle/OracleHomes/oms10g/OPatch:oracle]# opatch version

    Invoking OPatch 10.2.0.4.5
    OPatch Version: 10.2.0.4.5
    OPatch succeeded.

    [/home/oracle/OracleHomes/oms10g/OPatch:oracle]# cd ../../db10g
    [/home/oracle/OracleHomes/db10g:oracle]# cd OPatch
    [/home/oracle/OracleHomes/db10g/OPatch:oracle]# opatch version

    Invoking OPatch 10.2.0.1.0
    OPatch Version: 10.2.0.1.0
    OPatch succeeded.
    [/home/oracle/OracleHomes/db10g/OPatch:oracle]# cd ../../agent10g/OPatch
    [/home/oracle/OracleHomes/agent10g/OPatch:oracle]# opatch version
    Invoking OPatch 10.2.0.4.5
    OPatch Version: 10.2.0.4.5
    OPatch succeeded.

    This db10g home has a lower version of OPatch, so, that's the main spot i want to install it. did i do something wrong in the first place when installing Grid? :(

    Lyall

    Please make sure that you have the 10.2.0.4 patchset applied to that home.
    You used the string "10.2.0.1 db home" in your post.

    Typically I use the "-skip_duplicates" switch on Linux.
    What OS is this?

    Paul

    http://www.completestreets.org/faq.html
    http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/ped_bike/docs/pamanual.pdf

    --
    How Strong is Your Score?
    Click here to see yours for $0!

  • Subodh Deshpande at Jul 27, 2009 at 10:20 am
    hi

    I guess if there are multiple installations then this problem may occure.

    check where your oraInstloc variable pointing to.

    you might have taken the backup/s of oracle home/s and have you taken the backups of installation log/s directories.

    last time to which oracle home you applied the patch or which was your last installation. if you set that particular oracle home as current and tried to apply opatch you may not receive this error.

    thanks and take care..subodh

[...]

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedJul 24, '09 at 4:03p