Hi

I have a question on rolling upgrades of 2 node RAC databases.

I understand while performing a rolling upgrade i need to stage the patch to a directory and just launch Opatch from that directory and Opatch would roll over the patch to the remote node and apply it there .

My question is what happens to the existing and new user connections as the database is not stopped what happens when the patch is being applied to node 1

a)Users are already connectted to node 1
b) new users connection who are attempting to connect to node 1

regards
Hrishy

Search Discussions

  • LS Cheng at Jul 2, 2009 at 9:47 am
    I dont understand very well the question, do you mean apply an one-off as
    hot patch online?

    Thanks

    --
    LSC
    I have a question on rolling upgrades of 2 node RAC databases.

    I understand while performing a rolling upgrade i need to stage the patch
    to a directory and just launch Opatch from that directory and Opatch would
    roll over the patch to the remote node and apply it there .

    My question is what happens to the existing and new user connections as the
    database is not stopped what happens when the patch is being applied to node
    1

    a)Users are already connectted to node 1
    b) new users connection who are attempting to connect to node 1

    regards
    Hrishy
  • Harel Safra at Jul 3, 2009 at 8:04 am

    If I understand you
    question correctly, these are the steps to follow for a rolling patch
    install:
    1. Stop the instance in
    node 1 and all other relevant processes (asm if running from the same
    home, listener, em...)
    2. Install the patch
    with the OPatch option -local
    3. Restart services
    from step 1
    3. Repeat for other
    nodes.

    All that is under the
    assumption that the patch can be installed in a rolling fashion.

    Harel Safra

    hrishy wrote:

    Hi

    I have a question on rolling upgrades of 2 node RAC
    databases.

    I understand while performing a rolling upgrade i need to
    stage the patch to a directory and just launch Opatch from that
    directory and Opatch would roll over the patch to the remote node and
    apply it there .

    My question is what happens to the existing and new user
    connections as the database is not stopped what happens when the patch
    is being applied to node 1

    a)Users are already connectted to node 1
    b) new users connection who are attempting to connect to
    node 1

    regards
    Hrishy
  • Hrishy at Jul 5, 2009 at 5:29 am
    Hi

    Yes thanks that was my exact question.

    regards
    Hrishy

    hrishy wrote:

    Hi

    I have a question on rolling upgrades of 2 node RAC databases.

    I understand while performing a rolling upgrade i need to stage the patch to a directory and just launch Opatch from that directory and Opatch would roll over the patch to the remote node and apply it there .

    My question is what happens to the existing and new user connections as the database is not stopped what happens when the patch is being applied to node 1

    a)Users are already connectted to node 1
    b) new users connection who are attempting to connect to node 1

    regards
    Hrishy
  • Hrishy at Jul 5, 2009 at 5:41 am
    Hi Cheng

    I mean a patch that is certified as a rolling upgarde patch that needs to be applied on both the nodes.

    regards
    Hrishy

    I dont understand very well the question, do you mean apply an one-off as hot patch online?

    Thanks

    --
    LSC

    I have a question on rolling upgrades of 2 node RAC databases.

    I understand while performing a rolling upgrade i need to stage the patch to a directory and just launch Opatch from that directory and Opatch would roll over the patch to the remote node and apply it there .

    My question is what happens to the existing and new user connections as the database is not stopped what happens when the patch is being applied to node 1

    a)Users are already connectted to node 1
    b) new users connection who are attempting to connect to node 1

    regards
    Hrishy

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedJul 2, '09 at 8:53a
activeJul 5, '09 at 5:41a
websiteoracle.com

3 users in discussion

Hrishy: 3 posts Harel Safra: 1 post LS Cheng: 1 post