Hi
Chapter 7 of the data guard implementation guide describes about role
transitions. There are two scenarios which are described here (a)
failvoer (b) switchover.
What if I really dont want to do both of them. I want to test my
standby by breaking it, but dont want to make it primary.
My standby is in a remote location and I just want to set it up, break
the standby (when the primary is up) and see if I can make it work.
Once this works, the idea is to rebuild the standby and it would be in
managed recovery state
The standby is in a DR site which ideally I want to failover during an
actual DR but I want to test my standby setup (on whether I can break
it etc) before the acctual DR and document the procedure.

When I tried to keep primary up and try to break the standby, it
would not allow me even though I disable the log_archive_Dest_2.

Thank you for any pointers

Kumar

Search Discussions

  • Xu, Roger at Jun 12, 2009 at 3:42 pm
    Please let me know if the following is incorrect. Also, does anyone know
    when 10g will be out of support?

    Oracle 8i has been de-supported since Dec 31, 2004 after one year
    extension.

    Oracle9i Database Release 9.2 was de-supported on July 31, 2007 but it
    moves into the Extended Support stage of Lifetime Support effective
    August 1, 2007. Extended Support for Oracle9i Database Release 9.2 will
    be available for three years following the expiration of Premier
    Support.

    Thus, 9i will be out of support on July 31, 2010.

    Thanks,

    Roger Xu

    http://www.drpeppersnapplegroup.com/about/corporate to learn more about Dr Pepper Snapple Group’s commitment to corporate social responsibility.

    Please be conscious of the environment and print this email only if absolutely necessary.
    This e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential and may contain privileged information of Dr Pepper Snapple Group, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries ("Dr Pepper Snapple Group"). If you are not the intended recipient or receive it in error, you may not use, distribute, disclose or copy any of the information contained within it and it may be unlawful to do so. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by returning this e-mail to us at mailto:mailerror_at_dpsg.com and destroy all copies. Any views expressed by individuals within this e-mail do not necessarily reflect the views of Dr Pepper Snapple Group. This e-mail does not constitute a binding offer, acceptance, amendment, waiver or other agreement, unless the intent that an e-mail will constitute such is clearly stated in the body of the email. Recipients are advised to subject this e-mail and attachments to their own virus checking, in keeping with good computing practice. Please note that e-mail r
    eceived by Dr Pepper Snapple Group may be monitored in accordance with applicable law.
  • Karl Arao at Jun 12, 2009 at 3:51 pm
    Go to this link http://www.oracle.com/support/lifetime-support-policy.html

    and download this
    http://www.oracle.com/support/library/brochure/lifetime-support-technology.pdf

    For 10gR2, the Premier Support ends Jul 2010

    Karl Arao
    http://karlarao.wordpress.com
[...]

  • Goulet, Richard at Jun 12, 2009 at 4:51 pm
    Kumar,

    What exactly are you trying to out? That the data made it to
    the standby site? If so, stop the managed recovery and open the
    database read only. Afterwards you can resume standby operations
    without having to rebuild the database. But note that on a real
    failover or switchover you can't just open the standby database, but
    have to shutdown first.

    Dick Goulet
    Senior Oracle DBA
    PAREXEL International

[...]

  • Goulet, Richard at Jun 12, 2009 at 7:00 pm
    Kumar,

    Well I've never tried that, yet. But I would assume that the4 following would have to be done to simulate a failure of the primary database:

    If you have the data broker observer running kill it.
    On the primary disable the log_archive destinations that are feeding the standby.
    On the primary remove the TNSNAMES.ORA entries for the standby (commenting them out should be sufficient).
    On the standby move the TNSNAMES.ORA file aside, either rename it or move it to another directory so the two cannot communicate with each other.
    Follow the steps on the standby for a failover.

    Dick Goulet
    Senior Oracle DBA
    PAREXEL International

    I want to open the standby in read-write mode because this is going to
    be used by Oracle Apps. This would be the scenario in a 'real' DR case
    as well. I am trying to see if I can simulate and document this.

    Thank you
    - Kumar

    On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Goulet,
[...]

  • Kumar Madduri at Jun 12, 2009 at 7:38 pm
    Thank you Richard.
    As an extension to this, what I plan to do is, shutdown the standby, take an
    rman backup (before activating the standby). Do my testing. Then instead of
    rebuilding the standby, restore the backup taken prior to breaking the
    standby and continue recovery. I am hopoing this would work.

    Kumar

    On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Goulet, Richard
    Well I've never tried that, yet. But I would assume that the4
    following would have to be done to simulate a failure of the primary
    database:
    1) If you have the data broker observer running kill it.
    2) On the primary disable the log_archive destinations that are
    feeding the standby.
    3) On the primary remove the TNSNAMES.ORA entries for the standby
    (commenting them out should be sufficient).
    4) On the standby move the TNSNAMES.ORA file aside, either rename
    it or move it to another directory so the two cannot communicate with each
    other.
    5) Follow the steps on the standby for a failover.

    Dick Goulet
    Senior Oracle DBA
    PAREXEL International

[...]

  • Asif Momen at Jun 13, 2009 at 6:55 am
    Hi Kumar,

    I assume you are on Oracle 10g.

    If you are using Data Guard Broker, then disable the configuration .
    Disable log shipping on the primary.
    Test your standby database using/simulating Snapshot Standby Database.

    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239/scenarios.htm#CIHIABDH

    I have used the above procedure many times during DR testing. Should you need more information, drop a mail.

    Regards

    Asif Momen
    http://momendba.blogspot.com

    As an extension to this, what I plan to do is, shutdown the standby, take an rman backup (before activating the standby). Do my testing. Then instead of rebuilding the standby, restore the backup taken prior to breaking the standby and continue recovery. I am hopoing this would work.

    - Kumar
    Well I've never tried that, yet.  But I would assume that the4 following would have to be done to simulate a failure of the primary database:

    1) If you have the data broker observer running kill it.
    2) On the primary disable the log_archive destinations that are feeding the standby.
    3) On the primary remove the TNSNAMES.ORA entries for the standby (commenting them out should be sufficient).
    4) On the standby move the TNSNAMES.ORA file aside, either rename it or move it to another directory so the two cannot communicate with each other.
[...]

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedJun 12, '09 at 3:11p
activeJun 13, '09 at 6:55a