I have a user that when he drops a table it does not go into the recyclebin. I can see the segments this user created in user_segments and his table name in user_tables.

All other users can do this. I created a user, granted create session, create table, and a ts quota on USERS and he can drop the table and it goes into the recyclebin.

The parameters for the recyclebin are turned on and the hidden parameter is turned on ( i.e. _recyclebin= ).

The tablespaces are LMTs and this is Oracle EE 10.2.0.4.0.

Why would this user not be able to drop a table and have it go into the recyclebin?

thanks.

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.

  • Kenneth Naim at Jun 3, 2009 at 1:57 am
    This may be obvious, but depending on how he is dropping it (ie custom code,
    or some gui) the purge option may be specified in the drop command "drop
    table t1 purge".

    Ken

    I have a user that when he drops a table it does not go into the recyclebin.
    I can see the segments this user created in user_segments and his table name
    in user_tables.

    All other users can do this. I created a user, granted create session,
    create table, and a ts quota on USERS and he can drop the table and it goes
    into the recyclebin.

    The parameters for the recyclebin are turned on and the hidden parameter is
    turned on ( i.e. _recyclebin= ).

    The tablespaces are LMTs and this is Oracle EE 10.2.0.4.0.

    Why would this user not be able to drop a table and have it go into the
    recyclebin?

    thanks.

    Windows LiveT: Keep your life in sync. Check it out.
    <http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_BR_life_in_synch_062009>
  • Joe Smith at Jun 3, 2009 at 2:09 am
    Nope. Not using the purge option.

    thanks.

    This may be obvious, but depending on how he is dropping it (ie custom code, or some gui) the purge option may be specified in the drop command “drop table t1 purge”.

    Ken

    I have a user that when he drops a table it does not go into the recyclebin. I can see the segments this user created in user_segments and his table name in user_tables.

    All other users can do this. I created a user, granted create session, create table, and a ts quota on USERS and he can drop the table and it goes into the recyclebin.

    The parameters for the recyclebin are turned on and the hidden parameter is turned on ( i.e. _recyclebin= ).

    The tablespaces are LMTs and this is Oracle EE 10.2.0.4.0.

    Why would this user not be able to drop a table and have it go into the recyclebin?

    thanks.

  • Mathias Magnusson at Jun 3, 2009 at 5:46 am
    I can see the segments this user created in user_segments and his table
    name in user_tables.
    Are you saying that the drop fails? If it succeeds and noting ends up in the
    recyclebin, then you would not se it anymore. If this is the case, then
    posting the error message will help.

    Also, have you tried it yourself, logging on as that user in sql*plus and
    dropping a table? Just to make sure it is a very known environment and
    you're not getting any odd filtering done by the tool used.

    Mathias

    I have a user that when he drops a table it does not go into the
    recyclebin. I can see the segments this user created in user_segments and
    his table name in user_tables.

    All other users can do this. I created a user, granted create session,
    create table, and a ts quota on USERS and he can drop the table and it goes
    into the recyclebin.

    The parameters for the recyclebin are turned on and the hidden parameter is
    turned on ( i.e. _recyclebin= ).

    The tablespaces are LMTs and this is Oracle EE 10.2.0.4.0.

    Why would this user not be able to drop a table and have it go into the
    recyclebin?

    thanks.
    ------------------------------

    Windows Liveâ„¢: Keep your life in sync. Check it out.<http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_BR_life_in_synch_062009>

    ------------------------------
    Windows Liveâ„¢ SkyDriveâ„¢: Get 25 GB of free online storage. Get it on your
    BlackBerry or iPhone.<http://windowslive.com/online/skydrive?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_SD_25GB_062009>
  • Sylvester, Peter A. at Jun 3, 2009 at 2:39 pm
    There is no guarantee of retention for items in the recycle bin. If the space is needed for something it could get reused at any time, and certainly before the tablespace extension comes into play. There are supposedly some rules in place whereby Oracle attempts to reuse older objects first, but not sure it this is explicitly documented.

    --Peter
  • Karl Arao at Jun 7, 2009 at 1:21 am
    Interesting... Either VPD or Label?

    Karl Arao
    http://karlarao.wordpress.com
    If there is a security policy defined on a table it does not go into the
    recyclebin.

    thanks.

    ------------------------------
    There is no guarantee of retention for items in the recycle bin. If the
    space is needed for something it could get reused at any time, and certainly
    before the tablespace extension comes into play. There are supposedly some
    rules in place whereby Oracle attempts to reuse older objects first, but not
    sure it this is explicitly documented.

    --Peter

    ------------------------------
    Lauren found her dream laptop. Find the PC that�s right for you.<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/choosepc/?ocid=ftp_val_wl_290>
  • Joe Smith at Jun 7, 2009 at 7:56 pm
    We don't use OLS. If a security policy is VPD then that is it.

    If there is a security policy defined on a table it does not go into the recyclebin.

    thanks.

    There is no guarantee of retention for items in the recycle bin. If the space is needed for something it could get reused at any time, and certainly before the tablespace extension comes into play. There are supposedly some rules in place whereby Oracle attempts to reuse older objects first, but not sure it this is explicitly documented.

    --Peter

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedJun 3, '09 at 1:43a