I changed the command to "delete force obsolete" and then it worked.
++++++++++
Getting following error when doing a delete command. I can not run a crosscheck command since we backup the backups via OS to tape and then delete the file that rman had created. Therefore, only the most current backup is on disk. How do I resolve this error?

RMAN> delete noprompt expired backup;

2> delete obsolete;
3> backup as compressed backupset database plus archivelog delete input;
4> exit;

using target database control file instead of recovery catalog
allocated channel: ORA_DISK_1
channel ORA_DISK_1: sid=58 devtype=DISK

RMAN retention policy will be applied to the command
RMAN retention policy is set to recovery window of 21 days
using channel ORA_DISK_1
Deleting the following obsolete backups and copies:

Type Key Completion Time Filename/Handle
-------------------- ------ ------------------ --------------------
Backup Set 1 23-APR-09
Backup Piece 1 23-APR-09 F:\10G\DATABASE\01KD6Q25_1_1
Backup Set 2 23-APR-09
Backup Piece 2 23-APR-09 F:\10G\DATABASE\02KD6Q2E_1_1
Backup Set 3 23-APR-09
Backup Piece 3 23-APR-09 F:\10G\DATABASE\03KD6Q2U_1_1
Backup Set 4 23-APR-09
Backup Piece 4 23-APR-09 F:\10G\DATABASE\04KD6Q32_1_1
Backup Set 5 23-APR-09
Backup Piece 5 23-APR-09 R:\RMAN_BKUP_CTLG\BACKUP_RMANCTLG_05KD6QMR_1_1

RMAN-06207: WARNING: 5 objects could not be deleted for DISK channel(s) due
RMAN-06208: to mismatched status. Use CROSSCHECK command to fix status
RMAN-06210: List of Mismatched objects
RMAN-06211: ==========================
RMAN-06212: Object Type Filename/Handle
RMAN-06213: --------------- ---------------------------------------------------
RMAN-06214: Backup Piece F:\10G\DATABASE\01KD6Q25_1_1
RMAN-06214: Backup Piece F:\10G\DATABASE\02KD6Q2E_1_1
RMAN-06214: Backup Piece F:\10G\DATABASE\03KD6Q2U_1_1

RMAN-06214: Backup Piece F:\10G\DATABASE\04KD6Q32_1_1
RMAN-06214: Backup Piece R:\RMAN_BKUP_CTLG\BACKUP_RMANCTLG_05KD6QMR_1_1

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

they are addressed.
originator of the message. This footer also confirms that this
email message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

states them to be the views of Greater Cleveland Regional Transit
Authority (GCRTA)

Scanning of this message and addition of this footer is performed
by SurfControl E-mail Filter software in conjunction with
virus detection software.

Search Discussions

  • Bradd Piontek at May 15, 2009 at 2:07 pm
    I'm a little confused. Isn't the CROSSCHECK command used exactly for what
    you are running in to? In other words: A RMAN backup was removed from the
    file system and the catalog doesn't know that. In this case, the crosscheck
    would mark the backup as EXPIRED as it is no longer on the filesystem and
    the 'delete obsolete' would ignore the records. Maybe I am missing
    something.
    Bradd Piontek
    "Next to doing a good job yourself,

    the greatest joy is in having someone
    else do a first-class job under your
    direction."

    William Feather
[...]

  • Jeffrey Beckstrom at May 15, 2009 at 2:31 pm
    But nightly after the rman backup is done. We use OS utilities to copy to tape. Backup on disk is then deleted. Crosscheck would state that all backups are gone.
    Bradd Piontek 5/15/09 10:07 AM >>>

    --------------------------------------------------------------------- This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the originator of the message. This footer also confirms that this email message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifies and with authority, states them to be the views of Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (GCRTA) Scanning of this message and addition of this footer is performed by SurfControl E-mail Filter software in conjunction with virus detection software.

    Scanning of this message and addition of this footer is performed
    by SurfControl E-mail Filter software in conjunction with
    virus detection software.

    they are addressed.
    originator of the message. This footer also confirms that this
    email message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

    states them to be the views of Greater Cleveland Regional Transit
    Authority (GCRTA)

    Scanning of this message and addition of this footer is performed
    by SurfControl E-mail Filter software in conjunction with
    virus detection software.
  • Mayen.Shah_at_lazard.com at May 15, 2009 at 2:43 pm
    Not that I am recommending this approach, but you can mark backup as
    "UNAVAILABLE" before deleting from disk, so crosscheck will not mark them
    as expired. Subsequently you can delete with force option.

    HTH

    Mayen

    "Jeffrey Beckstrom"
    May 15 2009 10:31 AM
    Please respond to
    JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org

    "Bradd Piontek"
    cc
    oracle-l-freelists
    Subject
    Re: rman delete failed - did a force

[...]

  • Johnson, George at May 15, 2009 at 2:45 pm
    I have been tasked with getting a 9i ( 9.2.0.5 ) DB to authenticate
    users through OID. Our OID is already supporting password authentication
    for a load of 10g databases, so I know for a fact that the OID is
    authenticating correctly. These are not full blown EUS users, just
    simply password authentication for local DB users to the OID, backed by
    the MS AD store.

    9i obviously needs to use SSL to authenticate the DB to the OID
    store, to that end you create a wallet with the correct certs stored
    inside.

    I have the wallet installed, sqlnet.ora is pointing to the wallet.
    Now as the "oracle" user, who owns the binaries and started the
    instance, I can successfully authenticate a user within the 9i DB to the
    OID store ( additionally I can ldapbind with SSL ) so I know the wallet
    is sound.

    Now If I attempt to perform the same test, a simple sqlplus session,
    using another Unix user ID, userA on the same server, it fails with
    "Open wallet failed". Now userA can see the wallet files, can see the
    sqlnet.ora pointing to the wallet.Note there is no TNS involved, purely
    local connections. Indeed as one more test, as advised by the various
    MetaLink notes, userA can also use the wallets to perform a sucessful
    ldapbind using SSL.

    I currently have an Oracle Support ticket open, but I just can't
    make sense of it. The wallet is sound but when sqlplus fires up for any
    user other than the instance/binaries owne, it refuses to work.

    So I wondered, does anyone else have any experience with 9i,
    wallets, DB authentication to an OID store and may have run into this
    problem before?

    Any suggestions are welcome!

    Thanks for your time.

    This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual or entity
    named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email.
    Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake
    and delete this e-mail from your system.
    E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be
    intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender
    therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message
    which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy
    version. This message is provided for informational purposes and should not be construed as an
    invitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or related financial instruments.
    GAM operates in many jurisdictions and is regulated or licensed in those jurisdictions as required.
    To the extent this email has been sent to you by any GAM company domiciled in the EU, being
    GAM (U.K.) Limited, GAM Sterling Management Limited, GAM International Management Limited,
    GAM London Limited, GAM Fund Management Limited, or GAM Fonds Marketing GmbH i.L.,
    please note the following details in respect of each such company:
    - GAM (U.K.) Limited (a company limited by shares and registered in England and Wales with
    company number 01664573);
    - GAM Sterling Management Limited (a company limited by shares and registered in England and
    Wales with company number 01750352);
    - GAM International Management Limited (a company limited by shares and registered in England
    and Wales with company number 01802911);
    - GAM London Limited (a company limited by shares and registered in England and Wales with
    company number with Company Number 00874802)
    Each of Registered Office: 12 St. James's Place, London, SW1A 1NX
    GAM Sterling Management Limited, GAM International Management Limited and GAM London
    Limited are each authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
    GAM Fund Management Limited (a company limited by shares and registered in Ireland with no.
    156828) of Registered Office: George's Court 54-62 Townsend Street Dublin 2, Ireland
    GAM Fonds Marketing GmbH, i.L. (a company limited by shares and registered in Germany under
    No. HRB 66857) of Friedrichstrasse 154, D-10117 Berlin, Germany. The competent Commercial
    Register is "Amtsgericht Charlottenburg" in Berlin. Liquidator: Daniel Durrer.

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedMay 15, '09 at 1:09p
activeMay 15, '09 at 2:45p