http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9132967

"Yuen said Microsoft has liberalized licenses for its own server
applications. Due to changes made late last year, Microsoft software such as
Exchange, SQL Server, SharePoint, Windows Server and others can now be
migrated from server to server without users violating their licenses, Yuen
said.

The importance "of license portability, we get that now," Yuen said. That
portability is true, even if VMs are being moved from server to server using
VMware's V-Motion live migration tool.

Microsoft will also now fully support applications running inside VMs from
partners such as Novell Inc., Red Hat Inc. and Citrix Systems Inc. "If you
have a Red Hat issue, we will attempt to solve it and then escalate it with
Red Hat if we can't," he said."

Search Discussions

  • Taylor, Chris David at May 13, 2009 at 4:50 pm
    Will Oracle follow? Maybe...but not quickly. Frustrating as heck
    watching mgmt sweat over Oracle licensing and contemplate moving to a
    different database because of the licensing complexity/costs.

    Chris Taylor
    Sr. Oracle DBA
    Ingram Barge Company
    Nashville, TN 37205
    Office: 615-517-3355
    Cell: 615-354-4799
    Email: chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com

    CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential
    and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please
    notify the sender immediately and delete the contents of this message
    without disclosing the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose,
    or storing or copying the information on any medium.

    "Yuen said Microsoft has liberalized licenses for its own server
    applications. Due to changes made late last year, Microsoft software
    such as Exchange, SQL Server, SharePoint, Windows Server and others can
    now be migrated from server to server without users violating their
    licenses, Yuen said.

    The importance "of license portability, we get that now," Yuen said.
    That portability is true, even if VMs are being moved from server to
    server using VMware's V-Motion live migration tool.

    Microsoft will also now fully support applications running inside VMs
    from partners such as Novell Inc., Red Hat Inc. and Citrix Systems Inc.
    "If you have a Red Hat issue, we will attempt to solve it and then
    escalate it with Red Hat if we can't," he said."
  • Niall Litchfield at May 13, 2009 at 6:24 pm
    Well as it happened I had invited an ms guy to our oracle on windows
    sig to talk about ms virtualization. I was disappointed with the tech
    content, but what was interesting to me was that ms *get*
    virtualization in a way that oracle don't. So for example each new
    product must work correctly in a virtual environment. The management
    tools are being designed with virtual environments as a core
    manageability target and so on. Microsoft.com runs on virtual servers
    etc etc. It's a bit like the management pack licensing - oracle seems
    to imagine the world in fortune 500 terms only. Ms seems to see the
    bigger picture. Anyway rant over.

    ________________________________

    "Yuen said Microsoft has liberalized licenses for its own server
    applications. Due to changes made late last year, Microsoft software
    such as Exchange, SQL Server, SharePoint, Windows Server and others can
    now be migrated from server to server without users violating their
    licenses, Yuen said.

    The importance "of license portability, we get that now," Yuen said.
    That portability is true, even if VMs are being moved from server to
    server using VMware's V-Motion live migration tool.

    Microsoft will also now fully support applications running inside VMs
    from partners such as Novell Inc., Red Hat Inc. and Citrix Systems Inc.
    "If you have a Red Hat issue, we will attempt to solve it and then
    escalate it with Red Hat if we can't," he said."

    Niall Litchfield
    Oracle DBA
    http://www.orawin.info

grouporacle-l @