I am yring to install all versions of oracle 9i, 10g and 11g on a
windows machine. This to compare diferrences between various parameter
(hidden and non-hidden) and other diferences between different
releases and patchsets. But I hit the problem of 1024 limit of path
variable value on windows. I know there is a hotfox to increase this
to 2048 characters. But still with so many versions on same it's quite
easy to hit that limit too.

One could try clearing the path all together and run a environment
setting batch script to clear the path variable and set it only with
the version you are working with. Does anyone has any better way of
doing this?

I am lazy and was thinking of using windows select oracle home shortcut.

Does anyone has any better way of doing this?

Cheers,
Vishal Gupta

Search Discussions

  • M Rafiq at Feb 26, 2009 at 4:16 pm
    Vishal,

    Although I have not aware of any such solution like that but it is time to clean your path.

    You may use ~ after every 6 character in your path variable for longer path name.

    It will reduce your path size.

    You may see the following guidelines which may help. I encountered this issue when I was installing Oracle10g agent on Windows server. It is good fix. In my case it was HP openview which was generating very large path.

    Regards

    Rafiq

    QUOTE

    ANSWER

    Sorry for the inconvenience, no fix for the character limit in the PATH variable. But, a workaround would be to edit or temporarily remove some entries.

    Here's an example you can use. If you start with something like this as a single entry in PATH:

    C:\Program Files\Winterbourn

    you can edit it and shorten it like this:

    C:\Progra~1\Winter~1

    and it will still function normally.

    If you want, copy your current PATH and remove enough entries so that Oracle
    can finish. Then you can do what editing you need to do to get everything in under the 1023 character limit.

    UNQUOTE

    I am yring to install all versions of oracle 9i, 10g and 11g on a
    windows machine. This to compare diferrences between various parameter
    (hidden and non-hidden) and other diferences between different
    releases and patchsets. But I hit the problem of 1024 limit of path
    variable value on windows. I know there is a hotfox to increase this
    to 2048 characters. But still with so many versions on same it's quite
    easy to hit that limit too.

    One could try clearing the path all together and run a environment
    setting batch script to clear the path variable and set it only with
    the version you are working with. Does anyone has any better way of
    doing this?

    I am lazy and was thinking of using windows select oracle home shortcut.

    Does anyone has any better way of doing this?

    Cheers,
    Vishal Gupta
    http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_AE_Same_022009
  • Jason Heinrich at Feb 26, 2009 at 4:37 pm
    While the end of a short file name is often "~1", it could be another number
    if there is more than one file in the directory that has the same first six
    letters in its name. Do a "dir /X" to verify the actual short file names.

    --
    Jason Heinrich

    =======
[...]

    ------------------------------
    It’s the same Hotmail®. If by “same” you mean up to 70% faster. Get your
    account now.
    <http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_AE_Same_022009>
  • M Rafiq at Feb 26, 2009 at 7:37 pm
    Thanks for all your input. I used those guidlelines provided by Oracle couple of years back on around 15-20 Windows Servers and did not observe any issue with that since then.

    Regards

    Rafiq

    I am yring to install all versions of oracle 9i, 10g and 11g on a
    windows machine. This to compare diferrences between various parameter
    (hidden and non-hidden) and other diferences between different
    releases and patchsets. But I hit the problem of 1024 limit of path
    variable value on windows. I know there is a hotfox to increase this
    to 2048 characters. But still with so many versions on same it's quite
    easy to hit that limit too.

    One could try clearing the path all together and run a environment
    setting batch script to clear the path variable and set it only with
    the version you are working with. Does anyone has any better way of
    doing this?

    I am lazy and was thinking of using windows select oracle home shortcut.

    Does anyone has any better way of doing this?

    Cheers,
    Vishal Gupta

    Niall Litchfield
    Oracle DBA
    http://www.orawin.info

    Windows Live™ Hotmail®…more than just e-mail.
    http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_hm_justgotbetter_howitworks_022009

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedFeb 26, '09 at 11:12a