Hello list,

A target database has been upgraded to 10.2.0.3 from 9.2.0.4.
It is now necessary to restore the database to another host taking it
back to a point in time BEFORE the upgrade. I'm using an RMAN catalog
database to store the backup information.
Is it possible to do this with RMAN duplicate, or how can I do this?

Please help,

Regards,

Istvan

Search Discussions

  • Niall Litchfield at Jan 30, 2009 at 1:26 pm
    Hi ivan, you'd want to restore from an old backup and recover in that
    situation. That's one of the reasons the upgrade process asks if
    you've taken a backup first.
    A target database has been upgraded to 10.2.0.3 from 9.2.0.4.
    It is now necessary to restore the database to another host taking it
    back to a point in time BEFORE the upgrade. I'm using an RMAN catalog
    database to store the backup information.
    Is it possible to do this with RMAN duplicate, or how can I do this?

    Please help,

    Regards,

    Istvan

    Niall Litchfield
    Oracle DBA
    http://www.orawin.info
  • QuijadaReina, Julio C at Jan 30, 2009 at 3:13 pm
    Istvan,

    Within a run RMAN script, you could use 'set until time' right before the duplicate command. That will cause RMAN to recover up to the date and time you wish.

    Julio

    Yes I have cold backup just before the upgrade. The problem is: the upgrade was in 8th January 2009, and the restore time need to be 31 December 2008 23:59:00.
    The database is/was in archivelog mode, and the catalog is still holding (for a few days - because of the 37 days retention policy) the online backup information for the previous version.

    Regards,
    Istvan

    Hi ivan, you'd want to restore from an old backup and recover in that
    situation. That's one of the reasons the upgrade process asks if
    you've taken a backup first.
    A target database has been upgraded to 10.2.0.3 from 9.2.0.4.
    It is now necessary to restore the database to another host taking it
    back to a point in time BEFORE the upgrade. I'm using an RMAN catalog
    database to store the backup information.
    Is it possible to do this with RMAN duplicate, or how can I do this?

    Please help,

    Regards,

    Istvan

    Niall Litchfield
    Oracle DBA
    http://www.orawin.info

  • Newman, Christopher at Jan 30, 2009 at 3:22 pm
    What about setting the DBID, startup nomount, then attempting to restore the controlfile for the 9i instance from autobackup? Then run nid (http://www.psoug.org/reference/utilities.html#utni) to change the DBID so you don't conflict with your production DB, restore the old db, then do the duplication?

    Just make sure your paths are different than your 10g instance, ie, controlfiles, datafiles, etc etc. You can run a set newname in the RMAN block or pfile to avoid this.

    Throwing some stuff out that I would try, your mileage may vary.

    Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

    Thanks- Chris