It shouldn't be a problem to connect from 8i to 10g as long as you don't try to use any 10g SQL*Plus features (e.g. purge recyclebin). Shouldn't be a problem to install multiple clients on the same Windows machine either - just be aware of which one you're running your executables from to make sure you're accessing the correct tns config files, or set your TNS_ADMIN variable to override the defaults and point to a centralized location. If you have trouble, just search metalink for "oracle.key" and/or "tns_admin windows" and you should find some notes to get you on the right track. This probably goes without saying, but just in case you're not aware, you'll want to make sure you install the new client in separate directory from the existing client. Also, why install the 9i client instead of the 10g client?

  • SHEEHAN, JEREMY at Dec 29, 2008 at 5:57 pm
    From what I remember you'll have to use a 9i client to connect to a 10g database. The 8i client never worked for me connecting to 10g. If you do, just install in different homes and you should be ok.

    Jeremy
    P Consider the environment. Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

    From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org On Behalf Of Dennis Williams
    Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 12:39 PM
    To: Oracle List
    Subject: Oracle 8i and 9i on same Windows server?

    List,

    We are upgrading a database server to Oracle 10g (10.2.0.4) over the holiday. It was just discovered that one Windows report server is using an Oracle 8i client (Windows 2000 I think). Has anyone had any problems with this configuration? As a contingency, we are considering installing the 9i client, but want to keep the 8i client available as a contingency. Does anyone recall any problems installing the 9i client without disturbing the existing 8i client?

    Thanks,
    Dennis Williams
  • Allen, Brandon at Dec 29, 2008 at 6:12 pm
    Not true - the 8i (or more specifically 8.1.7) client works with 10g just fine and I use it on a regular basis. This config was even officially supported at one time but is no longer supported only because the 8i database has been desupported - Metalink note 207303.1 ("Client / Server / Interoperability Support Between Different Oracle Versions") confirms this.

    Regards,
    Brandon

    From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org On Behalf Of SHEEHAN, JEREMY

    From what I remember you'll have to use a 9i client to connect to a 10g database.

  • Jared Still at Dec 29, 2008 at 6:21 pm