Hello list,
I'm observing quite a lot of similiar entries in a 10046 (level 8) trace
file
created on a 8.1.7.4 running under AIX:

INSERT INTO verguetung ( verg_at, verg_basis, verg_basis2,

verg_eb, verg_eb2, verg_f_ksa, verg_f_wae, verg_kto,
verg_my, verg_oa, verg_s_, verg_sort, verg_splitting,
verg_vnr, verg_bem )

VALUES

( :1, :2, :3, :4, :5, :6, :7, :8, :9, :10, :11, :12, :13, :14, :15 )

call count cpu elapsed disk query current
rows
------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------

Parse 1 0.02 0.19 0 7 0

Execute 1 0.09 5.85 1 4 9
1
Fetch 0 0.00 0.00 0 0 0

------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------

total 2 0.11 6.04 1 11 9
1

Misses in library cache during parse: 1
Optimizer goal: RULE
Parsing user id: 41

Elapsed times include waiting on following events:

Event waited on Times Max. Wait Total

Waited

Waited ----------

single-task message 2 5.19
6.05
SQL*Net message from client 3 0.01
0.01
SQL*Net message to client 1 0.00
0.00

There is one primary key index, two other indexes (not unique)
and a context index on the column verg_bem.

Are there any changes to find out what is causing the system to spend 6
seconds in
the single-task message?

Thx in advance,
Martin

Search Discussions

  • Martin Berger at Dec 2, 2008 at 10:30 am
    it's the client (similar to two-task, but just single-task)

    http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76961/apa5.htm#212152

    single-task message
    When running single task, this event indicates that the session waits
    for the client side of the executable.
    Wait Time: Total elapsed time that this session spent in the user

    application.

    hth
    Martin

    --
    Martin Berger http://berxblog.blogspot.com
    --

    ------------
    ****

    There is one primary key index, two other indexes (not unique)
    and a context index on the column verg_bem.

    Are there any changes to find out what is causing the system to
    spend 6
    seconds in
    the single-task message?

    application/pkcs7-signature attachment: smime.p7s
  • Martin Busik at Dec 2, 2008 at 10:44 am
    Hi Martin,
    it's the client (similar to two-task, but just single-task)
    a jdbc client is using a prepared statement. 15 times a value gets
    bound (varchar2 and number, no blobs), then execute is called.

    Which part of this sequence may be covered by the single-task message?

    Cheers,
    Martin
  • Niall Litchfield at Dec 2, 2008 at 10:52 am
    Maintenance of the Context Index might be responsible for this, though I'm
    not sure I'd have expected it to show in the same trace, since my
    understanding in 8i was that context index maintenance was done via an
    entirely separate job.

    anyway since this is a guess based on hazy memories of context in 8174 going
    back 8 years or so now, you'd be best to test it. My plan for that would be
    simply to create an identical table without the context index and repeat the
    experiment.

    Niall
    it's the client (similar to two-task, but just single-task)
    a jdbc client is using a prepared statement. 15 times a value gets
    bound (varchar2 and number, no blobs), then execute is called.

    Which part of this sequence may be covered by the single-task message?

    Cheers,
    Martin

    Niall Litchfield
    Oracle DBA