Hi Gurus,

I have clarification on file permissions written by oracle. I have an oracle
udump folder with 755 privilege, When i touched a file(test.sql) in udump it
created with 644 permission according to umask value.But when oracle db
generated trace files or alert logs it has been created with 640 permission.
Please clear my doubt how it is possible

bash[]> ls -ld udump

*drwxr-xr-x* 2 oracle dba 12288 Dec 2 08:29 udump

bash[]> ls -ltr |tail

-rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 736 Nov 28 10:51 wagon_ora_29048.trc

-rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 736 Nov 29 10:50 wagon_ora_20059.trc

-rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 735 Nov 29 10:51 wagon_ora_21750.trc

-rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 734 Nov 30 10:50 wagon_ora_9666.trc

-rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 736 Nov 30 10:51 wagon_ora_11849.trc

-rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 761 Dec 1 10:50 wagon_ora_1421.trc

-rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 735 Dec 1 10:51 wagon_ora_3714.trc

*-rw-r-----* 1 oracle dba 2842 Dec 1 16:56 wagon_ora_23581.trc

bash[]> touch test.sql
*-rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba 0 Dec 2 08:29 test.sql*
**
Regards,
Naga

Search Discussions

  • Martin Berger at Dec 2, 2008 at 3:02 pm
    Hi Naga,

    you might want to check
    _TRACE_FILES_PUBLIC

    best regards,
    Martin

    --
    Martin Berger http://berx.at/
    I have clarification on file permissions written by oracle. I have
    an oracle udump folder with 755 privilege, When i touched a
    file(test.sql) in udump it created with 644 permission according to
    umask value.But when oracle db generated trace files or alert logs
    it has been created with 640 permission. Please clear my doubt how
    it is possible

    application/pkcs7-signature attachment: smime.p7s
  • Allan Nelson at Dec 2, 2008 at 3:07 pm
    And just to add a bit, without that init.ora parameter being set Oracle
    specifically over rides the umask to protect the trace files from inspection
    by non-privileged usesrs. Sensitive transaction data can be present in the
    trace file.

    Allan
    I have clarification on file permissions written by oracle. I have an
    oracle udump folder with 755 privilege, When i touched a file(test.sql) in
    udump it created with 644 permission according to umask value.But when
    oracle db generated trace files or alert logs it has been created with 640
    permission. Please clear my doubt how it is possible

  • Nagaraj S at Dec 2, 2008 at 6:38 pm
    Thanks for your reply. I have checked in init.ora there were no parameter
    like _TRACE_FILES_PUBLIC has been set. More over oracle s/w have any special
    instructions or any background process while writing trace/alert log files
    to the unix folder, because I have noticed on some servers also, the trace
    files has been written to the disk with 640 permission only

    Regards,
    Naga
    I have clarification on file permissions written by oracle. I have an
    oracle udump folder with 755 privilege, When i touched a file(test.sql) in
    udump it created with 644 permission according to umask value.But when
    oracle db generated trace files or alert logs it has been created with 640
    permission. Please clear my doubt how it is possible

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedDec 2, '08 at 2:52p
activeDec 2, '08 at 6:38p