hi,

I have a problem (as in subject) with the following configuration
ora9.2.0.6 on Win2003 (64-bit) on Intel XEON
I know this is not certified by Oracle (32-bit ora on 64-bit Win), but
so far all seemed ok and as this is not a production site (rather an
exercise) I did not expect such problem

We can run server, start listener - all is fine. But when trying a
remote connection, "listener failed to start a dedicated server process"

26-NOV-2008 09:57:55 *

(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=test1)(SERVER=DEDICATED)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\oracle\product\ora9206\bin\sqlplus.exe)(HOST=test)(USER=oracle)))
* (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.0.1.74)(PORT=4066)) * establish *
test1 * 12500
TNS-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process
TNS-12546: TNS:permission denied
TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
TNS-00516: Permission denied
32-bit Windows Error: 5: Input/output error

on metalink there is a note on such kind of problems, but it is not a
loaded system, plenty of RAM, no of processes certainly not a limited
factor here, listener run on SYSTEM privileges as well as db instances.
Windows error 5 is "Access is denied", and while this indicates
something I can not imagine what more should be done.

I ask You, because I am not too familiar with Windows environment and
very likely I forget/miss something obvious (in this env).

Thanks in advance
Remigiusz

--

Remigiusz Sokolowski

pos : DBA at DUSB
addr : Nordea Bank Polska SA, Luzycka 6A Street, 81-537 Gdynia, Poland
phone: +48 58 667 17 43

Nordea Bank Polska S.A. z siedzib± w Gdyni, ul. Kielecka 2, 81-303 Gdynia
wpisan± do Rejestru Przedsiêbiorców Krajowego Rejestru S±dowego pod numerem: 0000021828,
dla której dokumentacjê przechowuje S±d Rejonowy Gdañsk - Pó³noc w Gdañsku,
VIII Wydzia³ Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru S±dowego,
o kapitale zak³adowym i wp³aconym w wysoko¶ci: 227.593.500,00 z³otych,
NIP: 586-000-78-20, REGON: 190024711

  • Niall Litchfield at Nov 26, 2008 at 9:49 am
    Does a 'remote' connection work from the server itself?

    My first reaction is that you maybe being blocked by a firewall (most likely
    the windows firewall - it's called windows security manager or something
    similar in 2003 server).

    Niall

    On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Remigiusz Sokolowski <
[...]

    Oracle DBA
    http://www.orawin.info
  • Remigiusz Sokolowski at Nov 26, 2008 at 10:28 am

    Niall Litchfield pisze:
    Does a 'remote' connection work from the server itself?

    My first reaction is that you maybe being blocked by a firewall (most likely
    the windows firewall - it's called windows security manager or something
    similar in 2003 server).

    Niall
    yes - no firewall issue.
    However we did it - the worst part is I hava no idea why.
    The only changes we did were:
    - restart one of databases (I'm almost sure we did it yesterday, but
    because there are two of them, it is possible that it was always the
    other one - anyway a connection to any of them finished with failure),
    - set instances to autostart with windows service (I can not say why it
    would be able to improve such issue)

    Best regards and thanks for Your valuable time
    Remigiusz

    Remigiusz Sokolowski
    pos : DBA at DUSB
    addr : Nordea Bank Polska SA, Luzycka 6A Street, 81-537 Gdynia, Poland
    phone: +48 58 667 17 43

    Nordea Bank Polska S.A. z siedzib± w Gdyni, ul. Kielecka 2, 81-303 Gdynia
    wpisan± do Rejestru Przedsiêbiorców Krajowego Rejestru S±dowego pod numerem: 0000021828,
    dla której dokumentacjê przechowuje S±d Rejonowy Gdañsk - Pó³noc w Gdañsku,
    VIII Wydzia³ Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru S±dowego,
    o kapitale zak³adowym i wp³aconym w wysoko¶ci: 227.593.500,00 z³otych,
    NIP: 586-000-78-20, REGON: 190024711
  • Jan-Hendrik.Boll_at_dataport.de at Nov 26, 2008 at 12:02 pm
    Are there any group policy objects on that server?
    If my memories are correct, there are some rules that could affect this issue.

[...]

  • Remigiusz Sokolowski at Nov 26, 2008 at 10:34 am

    David Cheyne pisze:
    Hi remiguisz

    It may be the user (administrator? ) may have permission problems. Check
    it's a member of the ORA-DBA group. Or check the folder permissions on
    the oracle binaries.
    User oracle (on which we made installation) is a member of that group.
    SYSTEM account is not, but my sysadmin said it is kind of virtual
    account with all possible privileges.
    We add after a while also the Administrator account, but after check
    nothing was better.

    Anyway today we solve a problem somehow - and I have no idea what it is
    that "somehow". Some more details in my second post in replay to Niall

    Best regards and thanks for Your interest
    Remigiusz

    Remigiusz Sokolowski
    pos : DBA at DUSB
    addr : Nordea Bank Polska SA, Luzycka 6A Street, 81-537 Gdynia, Poland
    phone: +48 58 667 17 43

    Nordea Bank Polska S.A. z siedzibÄ… w Gdyni, ul. Kielecka 2, 81-303 Gdynia
    wpisaną do Rejestru Przedsiębiorców Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego pod numerem: 0000021828,
    dla której dokumentację przechowuje Sąd Rejonowy Gdańsk – Północ w Gdańsku,
    VIII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego,
    o kapitale zakładowym i wpłaconym w wysokości: 227.593.500,00 złotych,
    NIP: 586-000-78-20, REGON: 190024711

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedNov 26, '08 at 9:37a