Hi Gurus,

I have an clarification on rman restore. My production database was running
on server A with DBID 519999874 till October month and we take backup using
rman to tape. This month we have moved the production database to Server
B.. As part of it, I have unregistered the production database on rman
catalog on server A and I have changed my database DBID using NID tool in
server B and registered with new DBID to the catalog database. We had a
problem today...client asked us to restore October month backup from tape
when I try to do restore I get the following error

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-03002: failure of set command at 11/23/2008 11:57:49

RMAN-06004: ORACLE error from recovery catalog database: RMAN-20001: target
database not found in recovery catalog

Also when i queried on rman catalog I could not found the old DBID
information. Kindly help me how to over come this issue.

Regards,
Nagaraj

Search Discussions

  • Allen, Brandon at Nov 24, 2008 at 4:07 pm
    I don't understand why you changed the dbid to begin with but I guess it's a bit late for that question. How are you querying the rman catalog when trying to find info on the old dbid? You might need to use the "set dbid" command first if you're going through rman, or if you're just querying via sql*plus and the data isn't there in, for example, rc_database, then maybe someone already unregistered the old database and deleted all the old backup information associated with it, in which case you'll probably want to try restoring an old copy of your recovery catalog from before that was done.

    Regards,
    Brandon

    From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org On Behalf Of Nagaraj S

    Also when i queried on rman catalog I could not found the old DBID information

  • Bobak, Mark at Nov 24, 2008 at 4:49 pm
    Actually, Brandon, a read of the original posting shows that he did, in fact, unregister the old database from the old catalog, "As part of it, I have unregistered the production database on rman catalog on server A and I have changed my database DBID using NID tool in server B and registered with new DBID to the catalog database."

    So, that explains why he can't find anything under the old DBID. As Brandon mentioned, you'll need to restore the catalog database and recover to a point in time from before you unregistered the old DB.

    -Mark
    --
    Mark J. Bobak
    Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies

    ProQuest...Start here.

    From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org On Behalf Of Nagaraj S

    Also when i queried on rman catalog I could not found the old DBID information

  • Nagaraj S at Nov 26, 2008 at 7:28 pm
    Hi,
    I tried the restore in nocatalog mode and follow the below note. It is
    successful.

    Note 403883.1 Title: How To Restore Controlfile From A Backupset Without A
    Catalog Or Autobackup
    Regards,
    Nagaraj.
    Actually, Brandon, a read of the original posting shows that he did, in
    fact, unregister the old database from the old catalog, "As part of it, I
    have *unregistered* the production database on rman catalog on server A
    and I have changed my database DBID using NID tool in server B and
    registered with new DBID to the catalog database."

    So, that explains why he can't find anything under the old DBID. As
    Brandon mentioned, you'll need to restore the catalog database and recover
    to a point in time from before you unregistered the old DB.

    -Mark

    *--

    *From:* oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:
    oracle-l-bounce@freelists.org] *On Behalf Of *Nagaraj S

    Also when i queried on rman catalog I could not found the old DBID
    information

    ------------------------------

    consent to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions
    business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed
    by it.
  • Jared Still at Nov 24, 2008 at 7:10 pm

    As part of it, I have unregistered the production database on rman catalog
    on server A and I have changed my database DBID using NID tool in server B
    and registered with new DBID to the catalog database. We had a problem
    today...client asked us to restore October month backup from tape when I try
    to do restore I get the following error
    You have probably already come to this conclusion, but it bears repeating:

    Do not de-register old production databases from the rman catalog.

    There's probably very few reasons for doing so, and you have discovered
    a very good reason for not de-registering old databases.

    Jared

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedNov 24, '08 at 3:14p