Hi all

Can I use materialized views to copy data from existing 9.2.0.6 database
to 10.2.0.3?
From windows 32 bit to Linux 64 bit?

I have a 3 TB database that I need to move.

What happened during the first refresh that copy all the data, is the
originating table still available for updates during this time?

I will research the new and open an SR but I want your opinion where
this is practical.

--
Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel

  • Yaping Chen at Nov 23, 2008 at 11:41 am
    Hi Yechiel,

    You can create tables on 10203, then create MV on these tables using
    prebuild table.
    You may refresh incremental for large tables, complete refresh for small
    tables.
    And you should check whether all data type can be refreshed through MV.

    Other objects, such as trigger, procedure, you can extract the defination
    and create them manually.

    2008/11/23, Yechiel Adar :
    Hi all

    Can I use materialized views to copy data from existing 9.2.0.6 database
    to 10.2.0.3?
    From windows 32 bit to Linux 64 bit?

    I have a 3 TB database that I need to move.

    What happened during the first refresh that copy all the data, is the
    originating table still available for updates during this time?

    I will research the new and open an SR but I want your opinion where this
    is practical.

    --
    Adar Yechiel
    Rechovot, Israel

    Yaping Chen

    http://yaping123.wordpress.com

  • Bao jiejie at Nov 24, 2008 at 1:19 am
    sorry, i do not have streetwise experience on it.
    but i think you can do using Logical stand as solution, using log miner
    technical, but you need pay attention the copied tables need follow oracle
    restrict.

    please give us a hint while you get solution from oracle support :)
    You can create tables on 10203, then create MV on these tables using
    prebuild table.
    You may refresh incremental for large tables, complete refresh for small
    tables.
    And you should check whether all data type can be refreshed through MV.

    Other objects, such as trigger, procedure, you can extract the defination
    and create them manually.

    2008/11/23, Yechiel Adar :
    Hi all

    Can I use materialized views to copy data from existing 9.2.0.6 database
    to 10.2.0.3?
    From windows 32 bit to Linux 64 bit?

    I have a 3 TB database that I need to move.

    What happened during the first refresh that copy all the data, is the
    originating table still available for updates during this time?

    I will research the new and open an SR but I want your opinion where this
    is practical.

    --
    Adar Yechiel
    Rechovot, Israel

    Yaping Chen

    http://yaping123.wordpress.com
    --

    ("'-''-/").___..--''"'-._
    '7_ 7 ) '_. ( ).'-.__.')

    Best regards,
    Yours sincerely House
    baojiejie_at_gmail.com
  • Mark Brinsmead at Nov 24, 2008 at 3:22 am
    Providing you meet the requirements, you *should* be able to do this with
    Streams.
    Can I use materialized views to copy data from existing 9.2.0.6 database
    to 10.2.0.3?
    From windows 32 bit to Linux 64 bit?

    I have a 3 TB database that I need to move.

    What happened during the first refresh that copy all the data, is the
    originating table still available for updates during this time?

    I will research the new and open an SR but I want your opinion where this
    is practical.

    --
    Adar Yechiel
    Rechovot, Israel

    Cheers,
    -- Mark Brinsmead
    Senior DBA,
    The Pythian Group
    http://www.pythian.com/blogs

  • Yechiel Adar at Nov 24, 2008 at 5:21 am
    No, I can not.
    Streams do not copy the existing data to the new database, only the
    changes that occur after you activate streams.
    The manual says that you have to procreate the target database using
    exp/imp or rman.

    Adar Yechiel
    Rechovot, Israel

    Mark Brinsmead wrote:
    Providing you meet the requirements, you /should/ be able to do this
    with Streams.

    On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 11:47 PM, Yechiel Adar
    Can I use materialized views to copy data from existing 9.2.0.6
    <http://9.2.0.6> database to 10.2.0.3 <http://10.2.0.3>?
    From windows 32 bit to Linux 64 bit?
    I have a 3 TB database that I need to move.

    What happened during the first refresh that copy all the data, is
    the originating table still available for updates during this time?

    I will research the new and open an SR but I want your opinion
    where this is practical.

    --
    Adar Yechiel
    Rechovot, Israel

    Cheers,
    -- Mark Brinsmead
    Senior DBA,
    The Pythian Group
    http://www.pythian.com/blogs
  • Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) at Nov 24, 2008 at 1:12 pm
    Adar,

    This is exactly how we migrated a database from 9i to 10g onto a new
    server. We had strict uptime requirements for the database. This gave
    us the opportunity to perform a switchover to the new server very
    quickly (like in an afternoon).

    Look at creating the MV's on pre-built tables in your new database.

    These are the basic steps:

    Create the tables in your new database.
    Pick and choose what tables need to be MV'ed. Example: Tables that are
    never updated can be moved now (like reference tables).
    Create the MV's on the other tables. Refresh them at a schedule that is
    convenient for you. It might be once a day or every hour.
    Pick the switch-over date. On that day, shut down the application on
    the source database. Perform one more MV refresh. Shut down the old
    database. Switch your application's database connections to the new
    database, start the application and you are on your way.

    Hope this helps.

    Tom

    Can I use materialized views to copy data from existing 9.2.0.6 database

    to 10.2.0.3?
    From windows 32 bit to Linux 64 bit?

    I have a 3 TB database that I need to move.

    What happened during the first refresh that copy all the data, is the
    originating table still available for updates during this time?

    I will research the new and open an SR but I want your opinion where
    this is practical.

    --
    Adar Yechiel
    Rechovot, Israel

  • Jared Still at Nov 24, 2008 at 10:56 pm