If using a pfile, what goes in sys.aud$ when audit_trail is set to DB?
We ran into a scenario where we want to change auditing on a DB, but the
pfile has audit_trail=NONE, hence we have to bounce. I think if we set
it to DB across the enterprise, we can turn auditing on and off at will
via the 'AUDIT XXX' command. Does setting this parm to DB have any
effect other than allowing you to turn auditing on and off, and
directing the audited information to sys.aud$? Does simply setting it
to 'DB' cause info to go in the sys.aud$, even if you haven't enabled
auditing?

Thanks- Chris

Search Discussions

  • Jared Still at Oct 28, 2008 at 1:56 am
    Settiing audit_trail simply directs where audit records are sent.
    Setting it does not cause any audit records to be written.

    An exception to that might be if the audit command was used prior to
    setting audit_trail, in which case auditing will start working when
    the new setting takes effect.

    Check the 11g docs - there is a security guide with a lot of info on this.
    If using a pfile, what goes in sys.aud$ when audit_trail is set to DB?
    We ran into a scenario where we want to change auditing on a DB, but the
    pfile has audit_trail=NONE, hence we have to bounce. I think if we set
    it to DB across the enterprise, we can turn auditing on and off at will
    via the 'AUDIT XXX' command. Does setting this parm to DB have any
    effect other than allowing you to turn auditing on and off, and
    directing the audited information to sys.aud$? Does simply setting it
    to 'DB' cause info to go in the sys.aud$, even if you haven't enabled
    auditing?

    Thanks- Chris

    Jared Still

grouporacle-l @