I've installed Oracle 10g in Windows and everything seems to be
running smoothly.

Well, not quite. I've created a database and a table just for the sake
of testing.
I can do INSERTs in the table alright and if I do SELECTs over it, it
gives back what I've inserted before.

Now, if I disconnect the database and connect again, all the values
I've inserted before are gone. The table is empty. It is as if nothing
has been writen to the disk.

I've googled a while, but found no answer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Warm Regards,
Mário Gamito

Search Discussions

  • TESTAJ3_at_nationwide.com at Oct 8, 2008 at 9:28 pm
    Did you commit at the end?

    Joe

    I've installed Oracle 10g in Windows and everything seems to be
    running smoothly.

    Well, not quite. I've created a database and a table just for the sake
    of testing.
    I can do INSERTs in the table alright and if I do SELECTs over it, it
    gives back what I've inserted before.

    Now, if I disconnect the database and connect again, all the values
    I've inserted before are gone. The table is empty. It is as if nothing
    has been writen to the disk.

    I've googled a while, but found no answer.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Warm Regards,
    Mário Gamito
  • Channa, Santhosh at Oct 8, 2008 at 9:32 pm
    May be "commit"... check your sqlplus environment and make it autocommit to "on"

    Regards,
    Santhosh Channa

    I've installed Oracle 10g in Windows and everything seems to be
    running smoothly.

    Well, not quite. I've created a database and a table just for the sake
    of testing.
    I can do INSERTs in the table alright and if I do SELECTs over it, it
    gives back what I've inserted before.

    Now, if I disconnect the database and connect again, all the values
    I've inserted before are gone. The table is empty. It is as if nothing
    has been writen to the disk.

    I've googled a while, but found no answer.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Warm Regards,
    Mário Gamito
  • Dan Norris at Oct 9, 2008 at 12:29 am
    This is (must be) a global temporary table and its contents are only valid
    for your session (possibly only for your transaction). The table data is
    stored in temporary space and is deallocated when your session disconnects.
    Look for GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLE in the docs and you'll find it.

    Dan
    I've installed Oracle 10g in Windows and everything seems to be
    running smoothly.

    Well, not quite. I've created a database and a table just for the sake
    of testing.
    I can do INSERTs in the table alright and if I do SELECTs over it, it
    gives back what I've inserted before.

    Now, if I disconnect the database and connect again, all the values
    I've inserted before are gone. The table is empty. It is as if nothing
    has been writen to the disk.

    I've googled a while, but found no answer.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Warm Regards,
    Mário Gamito

  • Fuad Arshad at Oct 9, 2008 at 2:36 am
    are you committing the contents
    i.e issuing a commit after the inserts.

    when you say exit is it by X'ing out or by typing the exit.
    if it is X'ing you might just be rolling back your transaction

    I've installed Oracle 10g in Windows and everything seems to be
    running smoothly.

    Well, not quite. I've created a database and a table just for the sake
    of testing.
    I can do INSERTs in the table alright and if I do SELECTs over it, it
    gives back what I've inserted before.

    Now, if I disconnect the database and connect again, all the values
    I've inserted before are gone. The table is empty. It is as if nothing
    has been writen to the disk.

    I've googled a while, but found no answer.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Warm Regards,
    Mário Gamito

grouporacle-l @