This is not a database question.

I am currently running a server with VMWare Server and a couple of VMs
with RHEL4 and Oracle (9i, 10g, 11g) and a VM with Windows 2003 Server
with a MS SQL Server. I'm also running a VM with windows 2000 and Oracle
8i, but that won't live much longer...

I became acquainted with Oracle VM back when it was release, yet have
never had the chance to try it out. Mind you, even though this server is
for internal use only and intended for testing, there is a particular VM
which should be online 24x7 as it contains an application we use to
share information (TNSNAMES connect strings, host info, access info and
a couple hundrer scripts) This is a very simple APEX application, but it
should not be down long... specially during working hours. I know
migrating this application could take me up to a day (as that is what it
took to move it originally) I was thinking on upgrading it to 11g with
latest apex in the same step.

Ok, now to the point. We need to keep all the VMs working as they are
our main testing environment and I was wondering if anyone has any
experience with OracleVM, specially running the Windows 2003 with MSSQL
Server, as I'm pretty sure the Oracle installs will work flawlessly.

I will try to get a PC to run OracleVM Server, as I will need it to
prepare the 11g VM to migrate the main apex application... but the PC
I'll be able to get will have about 1GB ram, and I'm not sure I'd be
able to launch two productive VMs...

Also, I'd really like to do a fresh install for the apex vm, but I'm not
so keen on reinstalling the Win2003 as there are a lot of MSSQL DBs
there and I'm not a MSSQL DBA and it would require someone else to
migrate them (not to mention a LOT of space to back them up during
reinstall which I'm sure we don't have). Is there a way to convert
VMWare Virtual Machines to Oracle VM Server Virtual Machines?

TIA

Guillermo Alan Bort

EDS - ITO DBA Main Group

Search Discussions

  • Roberts, David (GSD - UK) at Oct 6, 2008 at 10:51 am
    I recently went to a seminar where Julian Dyke was presenting his
    experiences of OracleVM.

    Unfortunately the presentation isn't yet up on his website:
    http://www.juliandyke.com/Presentations/Presentations.html

    Although I assume it will be added shortly.

    In summary, he found the product poorly documented, with many of the
    issues encountered installing and configuring it only documented on
    Metalink and isn't really ready for live deployment yet.

    NB. He was using version 2.1.1, although he stated that none of the
    problems he encountered appeared to have been fixed in 2.1.2.

    Regards,

    Dave

    David Roberts
    Logica - Releasing your potential

    www.logica.com

    Logica UK Limited
    Registered in England and Wales (registered number 947968)
    Registered office: Stephenson House, 75 Hampstead Road, London NW1 2PL,
    United Kingdom

[...]

  • Allen, Brandon at Oct 6, 2008 at 3:07 pm
    Why do you want to switch from VMWare to OracleVM? Have you had
    problems with VMWare? I'm curious because I'm in the middle of a
    project to deploy a new production environment on VMWare and so far
    everything is going very well except for a performance problem we
    encountered with running OEL4 32-bit on 64-bit VMWare. Once we switched
    to 64-bit OEL4, performance was great. Oracle openly acknowledges that
    Windows guests perform poorly on OracleVM so I probably wouldn't even
    bother trying it.

    Regards,

    Brandon

    From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
    On Behalf Of Bort, Guillermo

    Ok, now to the point. We need to keep all the VMs working as they are
    our main testing environment and I was wondering if anyone has any
    experience with OracleVM, specially running the Windows 2003 with MSSQL
    Server, as I'm pretty sure the Oracle installs will work flawlessly.
  • Bort, Guillermo at Oct 6, 2008 at 3:13 pm
    I have had problems with VMWare under I/O stress, situations where the
    VM just dies.

    The last example was while installing RHEL4u7 on a new VM and it simply
    died. There are a few entries in the log and I'm currently googling
    arround, but I've had similar experiences some time ago while trying to
    create databases and formating raw partitions for ASM/RAC. So I figured
    I should try a different virtualization environment... Oracle seemed
    like a good idea, specially since we have virtually unlimited access to
    ML, Patches and Oracle Products in general.

    Regards

    Guillermo Alan Bort

    EDS - ITO DBA Main Group

    From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
    On Behalf Of Bort, Guillermo

    Ok, now to the point. We need to keep all the VMs working as they are
    our main testing environment and I was wondering if anyone has any
    experience with OracleVM, specially running the Windows 2003 with MSSQL
    Server, as I'm pretty sure the Oracle installs will work flawlessly.
  • Allen, Brandon at Oct 6, 2008 at 3:32 pm
    That's interesting. I've pushed my systems pretty hard with
    simulations (ORION, dd, Swingbench, etc.) and had no problem so far. If
    your VMs are simply dying, I'd suspect there may be a config or hardware
    issue, but it's hard to say without more detail. I don't think VMWare
    would have gotten where they are if their product was so unreliable.
    Oracle even used VMWare internally for many years, and probably still
    does, although they're probably phasing it out for OracleVM now. I'm
    not using ASM, raw devices or RAC, so maybe that's part of the problem
    you're encountering. Have you opened a case with VMWare support, tried
    patching/upgrading to the latest version, etc. to see if you can resolve
    the problem with VMWare first? It seems that would be an easier route
    before jumping ship to a whole new VM platform, and maybe less expensive
    assuming you already own the proper VMWare licenses.

    Anyone else on the list having similar problems with VMWare?

    Thanks,

    Brandon

    From: Bort, Guillermo

    I have had problems with VMWare under I/O stress, situations where the
    VM just dies.
  • William Blanchard at Oct 6, 2008 at 3:36 pm
    Ok experts, this may be an easy one but my googling expertise is
    exhausted. How do I "unset" plsql_compiler_flags? Is it even possible?
    I have set plsql_code_type but can't figure out how to unset the
    plsql_compiler_flags.

    Thank you,

    William Blanchard
  • Allen, Brandon at Oct 6, 2008 at 4:07 pm
    Does this work?

    alter system reset plsql_compiler_flags scope=spfile sid=’*’;

    You can try scope=memory too, but I’m not sure if that works or not – probably depends on whether or not it’s a dynamic parameter, but I’m not sure if that always applies in the case of reset as it does for set.

    Regards,

    Brandon
  • Blanchard William at Oct 6, 2008 at 6:06 pm
    This worked! Thank you.