�Hi list,

We currently have a 4 node Oracle RAC on HP UX Superdom Itanimum II with EMC
SAN (Symatrix DMX4) storage. Since few days, we are facing an abnormal
situation where the RAW disks permissions (includes OCR, Voting and ASM
disks) are getting changed dynamically and sometime during the node reboot
too, which cause Cluster hung situation. Our current workaround is to reset
the permissions to RAW disks.

If I am not wrong, this sort of problem exists on Linux reboot and to
prevent this, we need to set a parameter which keeps the existing parameter
alive. I am not sure this is the same case on HP. Does anyone out there has
faced similar kind of issue? or it is very abnormal situation?

We did open a call with HP support and they said, basically, OS doesn't have
any control on the RAW devices and definately it won't change the permission
either dynamically or during the reboot time and they suspect Oracle might
be doing something to change the permission.

I have opened a TAR with Oracle too and waiting for the reply. Appreciate if
someone can put some limelight on this issue.

--
Best Regards,

Syed Jaffar Hussain
Oracle ACE
8i,9i & 10g OCP DBA
RAC Certified Expert

Official Oracle RAC SIG Representative for Saudi Arabian region (
http://www.oracleracsig.org/)
http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
http://apex.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=19297:4:1579866181463918::NO:4:P4_ID:126
"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."

--
Best Regards,

Syed Jaffar Hussain
Oracle ACE
8i,9i & 10g OCP DBA
RAC Certified Expert

Official Oracle RAC SIG Representative for Saudi Arabian region (
http://www.oracleracsig.org/)
http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
http://apex.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=19297:4:1579866181463918::NO:4:P4_ID:126
"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."

  • LS Cheng at Jul 30, 2008 at 10:15 am
    Hi

    In Linux you either put chmod and chown in rc.local to set raw devices
    permissions or use udev.

    In HP-UX I have not seen this issue, the permissions are persistent even
    after reboot for Raw Devices.

    In HP-UX 11.31 this can happen if the devices are created with mksf instead
    of mknod, whenever you add new devices with insf -e this will reset
    permissions

    Thanks

    --
    LSC

    On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Syed Jaffar Hussain <
[...]

  • Syed Jaffar Hussain at Jul 30, 2008 at 12:01 pm
    I would say, its not the RAW disks permission which is changing, rather it
    is the ownership permission changing on the RAW disks.

  • LS Cheng at Jul 31, 2008 at 6:45 am
    Say

    voting disks are

    oracle:dba and 660

    How are your permissions changing?

    to root:root?

    Thanks

    --
    LSC

    On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Syed Jaffar Hussain <
[...]

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedJul 30, '08 at 8:43a
activeJul 31, '08 at 6:45a
websiteoracle.com

2 users in discussion

LS Cheng: 2 posts Syed Jaffar Hussain: 2 posts