Question, how are you rolling out the Oracle client software for your
windows end-users.

Are you installing the client software on the local PC and if so how?

Are you running the client software from a shared networked drive?

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

Search Discussions

  • Mayen.Shah_at_lazard.com at Jul 22, 2008 at 3:56 pm
    I do both. For most applications I have windows client on shared drive.
    For few end users/developers, I have client installed on individual PCs.

    Thanks
    Mayen

    "Jeffrey Beckstrom"
    Jul 22 2008 11:45 AM
    Please respond to
    JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org

    "oracle-l-freelists", "oracle-db-l"

    cc

    Subject
    Installation of Oracle client for end users

    Question, how are you rolling out the Oracle client software for your
    windows end-users.

    Are you installing the client software on the local PC and if so how?

    Are you running the client software from a shared networked drive?

    Jeffrey Beckstrom
    Database Administrator
    Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
    1240 W. 6th Street
    Cleveland, Ohio 44113
  • Jay.Miller_at_tdameritrade.com at Jul 22, 2008 at 6:51 pm
    The same group that does our software installs does Oracle Client
    Installs. About 7 years ago (Pre-merger) I wrote the documentation for
    the group that handled it at the time and provided the tnsnames.ora and
    sqlnet.ora files. I assume someone on the other side of the merger had
    done the same for the department that currently handles it, but I'm
    really not sure.

    Jay Miller
    Sr. Oracle DBA
    201.369.8355

[...]

  • Elliott, Patrick at Jul 22, 2008 at 6:23 pm
    We have an application that is coded to login, do a query, and then logout. It does this an average of twice per second. It is a big deal to fix the application. Would enabling Shared Server/MTS help solve this problem? Right now the high overhead of logins and logouts can be a performance hit.

    Pat

    [CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE]

    Information transmitted by this email is proprietary to Medtronic and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is private, privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please delete this mail from your records.

    To view this notice in other languages you can either select the following link or manually copy and paste the link into the address bar of a web browser: http://emaildisclaimer.medtronic.com
  • Dan Norris at Jul 22, 2008 at 6:39 pm

    I would say it should. You might also look at static definitions in the
    listener and use PRESPAWN in the listener to precreate some number of
    dedicated server processes to avoid (or pay in advance instead of at
    connection time) the overhead of the fork the listener makes for each
    dedicated server.
    I think there are also DB-resident connection pools in 11g, but I think
    that was a feature aimed specifically at PHP--not sure how it works,
    but may help you if you can learn enough about it (and are using a
    version that supports the feature).
    Dan
    Elliott, Patrick wrote:

[...]

  • Elliott, Patrick at Jul 22, 2008 at 6:58 pm
    It looks like prespawned dedicated servers are no longer supported in 10g.

    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/network.102/b14213/unsupported.htm#i440873

    Pat