Hey all,

Keeping the OEM threads alive...

Using SQL Server's version of Enterpise Manager or Management Studio to
monitor SSs is an inefficient, time-consuming, and sieve-like way to manage.

I've installed Grid Control 10.2.0.3.0 and am using it to monitor all of our
5 Oracle DBs (including XE and the OMS repository -- we're not that big).
Since our XE DB is on Win32, I've installed an Agent there and have
encountered the usual slew of Oracle-on-Windows issues coming from a Unix
environment, but nothing that's insurmountable.

Does anyone use GC to monitor SQL Server 2K and/or 2K5? I installed the SQL
Server plugin to GC and had deployed it to my laptop as a test, but with
very limited time, I'm afraid that my "testing" was empirical at best. And
then my laptop died a horrible death...

At this point, I'm looking for feedback before spending the time to
reinstall everything I'd need to test. I'm not terribly interested in
performance metrics yet, but mostly centralized error/event notification.
Simple answers to:

Are you using GC to monitor SQL Server 2K/2K5 on Server 2K/2K3 (32bit)?

Why/not?

Any major gotchas?

TIA!

Rich

Search Discussions

  • Bradd Piontek at Jul 21, 2008 at 11:17 pm
    I use the SQL Add-on to monitor SQL 2000/2005
    SQL 2000 - a bit more setup to get the perf metrics working. Not sure I ever
    got this working on Windows 2000. On Windows 2003 is was much simpler.

    SQL 2005 - Again, works pretty good. I do have an SR open with oracle. It is
    my belief they are not collecting the right source data for Database space
    used. All my databases show less than a percent of free space when in
    actuality there is 90% plus free in each database. I have found support by
    Oracle a bit slow, and not very knowledgable when it comes to the plug-ins.

    Bradd Piontek
    Oracle Blog: http://piontekdd.blogspot.com
    Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/piontekdd

    On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Rich Jesse
[...]

    1) Are you using GC to monitor SQL Server 2K/2K5 on Server 2K/2K3 (32bit)?

    2) Why/not?

    3) Any major gotchas?

    TIA!
    Rich

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedJul 21, '08 at 7:53p
activeJul 21, '08 at 11:17p
websiteoracle.com

2 users in discussion

Rich Jesse: 1 post Bradd Piontek: 1 post