I'm having some trouble getting Oracle to shutdown cleanly for our
scheduled weekly Windows reboots.

Win2K3 x64 SP2
Oracle 10.2.0.3 64 bit

I followed Metalink note 231495.1 to add a script to the Windows Group
Policy to run the "net stop" commands at shutdown to stop the Oracle
services, which in turn will gracefully shutdown the database according
to my registry settings of ORA_SID_SHUTDOWN=TRUE,
ORA_SID_SHUTDOWN_TIMEOUT=300 and ORA_SID_SHUTDOWNTYPE=immediate.

It works as expected when I shutdown from the Windows GUI by clicking
Start > Shutdown. However, if I shutdown via the shutdown.exe command,
the "net stop" commands don't get executed and therefore Oracle doesn't
get shutdown cleanly.

Anyone else seen this and have any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks,
Brandon

  • Yechiel Adar at May 14, 2008 at 6:05 am
    Call the net stop commands in the script that calls shutdown.exe

    ?????????????????????

    That was the first thing that popped up when I google for: shutdown.exe
    scripts.

    Adar Yechiel
    Rechovot, Israel

    Allen, Brandon wrote:
    It works as expected when I shutdown from the Windows GUI by clicking
    Start > Shutdown. However, if I shutdown via the shutdown.exe
    command, the "net stop" commands don't get executed and therefore
    Oracle doesn't get shutdown cleanly.

    Anyone else seen this and have any ideas how to fix it?

    Thanks,
    Brandon
  • Allen, Brandon at May 14, 2008 at 3:53 pm
    Thanks Adar (and others that have made the same suggestion). That's not
    a bad idea, but it only works as long as everyone using the system knows
    to shutdown via that script. The method I'm trying to use, as detailed
    in Metalink 231495.1, and described even better at this website
    http://www.alydan.com/weeklytip073.htm
    <http://www.alydan.com/weeklytip073.htm>, adds the net stop commands to
    the Windows Group Policy shutdown script, so that they should be
    executed automatically for every shutdown. It works great when I
    shutdown from the GUI, but just isn't working for me when I run
    shutdown.exe at the command line even though others have told me it
    works both ways for them. So, it seems to just be a problem with my
    Windows config that is preventing the shutdown.exe command from
    successfully executing the net stop commands in the group policy
    shutdown script.

    Thanks,
    Brandon

    From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
    On Behalf Of Yechiel Adar

    Call the net stop commands in the script that calls shutdown.exe ?

  • Yong Huang at May 14, 2008 at 3:59 pm
    Brandon, see Note:231495.1. It seems that even if you shutdown Windows cleanly,
    the DB shutdown behavior set by the Oracle registry is still not guaranteed.
    Maybe later versions of Oracle and/or Windows changed that.

    Yong Huang
[...]

  • Allen, Brandon at May 14, 2008 at 4:45 pm
    Thanks Yong, but I already read that note as mentioned in my original
    post - I'm trying to use the "Workaround" provided in that note to
    execute "net stop" commands in the Windows Group Policy shutdown script
    and that's where I'm having trouble.

    Regards,
    Brandon