We are consolidating data centers and need to move a couple of Oracle
databases, including a 3 node production RAC. This will require
changing the IP address of every machine that is moved.

I am opening an SR with Oracle, but real world pointers / tips /
gotcha's / how-to's etc. on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Oracle versions are 9.2.0.4, 10.1.0.5 (RAC) and 10.2.01 on Red Hat
Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 1)
(and yes, once the machines are moved we plan to upgrade Oracle)

Thanks!

--

Angel Tirone
Database Administrator III

  • Krish.hariharan_at_quasardb.com at Apr 16, 2008 at 3:17 am
    Angel,

    There are generally four different ways you can accomplish this and they
    have nearly the same production outage footprint during the cut over. The
    are either physical replication with varying degrees of reorg capabilities
    and logical/data replication.

    Storage Replication: Prebuild RAC/ASM and storage replicate the devices
    (SRDF etc depending on our hardware). This however requires that you match
    the devices. I also requires that you have the ability to do a consistent
    split of the mirrors in a manner that simulates a node failure (example EMC
    SRDF with consistency groups)

    RMAN: restore the database and keep it in sync with production until the
    cut over time.

    Data Guard/Standby: Set up data guard and effect a switch over/failover
    in a manner that avoids data loss.

    Exp/Imp: Export import or Data Pump. Some of my colleagues also did this
    between ASM instances. I suspect you could also use dbms_file_transfer.

    I have done all four of these for several data center consolidations and the
    choice depends on whether you are reorganizing storage, size of the database
    being moved, time available for the move.

    In all these cases you can use the crs and srvctl commands to register the
    service.

    Depending on your connectivity methods (TNSNAMES, ONAMES, LDAP/OID) you can
    change the VIP. The only ones that tend to get affected are JDBC thin
    drivers and the applications thereof (example BEA Weblogic) and that again
    depends on how the application is configured.

    The only problem I encountered (only once) is in the RMAN move where when I
    replaced the control file with the production control file it complained of
    some files being out of date (I suspect this is due to a mismatch in
    checkpointing but was never able to reproduce it so will chalk that one up
    to user error).

    -Krish
    Krish Hariharan
    Database Architect
    Quasar Database Technologies, LLC

    We are consolidating data centers and need to move a couple of Oracle
    databases, including a 3 node production RAC. This will require
    changing the IP address of every machine that is moved.

    I am opening an SR with Oracle, but real world pointers / tips /
    gotcha's / how-to's etc. on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

    Oracle versions are 9.2.0.4, 10.1.0.5 (RAC) and 10.2.01 on Red Hat
    Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 1)
    (and yes, once the machines are moved we plan to upgrade Oracle)

    Thanks!

    --

    Angel Tirone
    Database Administrator III
    J Craig Venter Institute
    Phone: (301)795-7738
    Email: atirone_at_jcvi.org

  • Alex Gorbachev at Apr 23, 2008 at 3:06 am
    Angel,

    Im a bit late but I haven't seen much follow up except one reply
    assuming that you need to move to the new storage.
    Based on your post I would rather assume that yo physically moving
    machines themselves as well as storage so your move might be more
    difficult.

    Single instance databases live well when changing IP's or hostnames -
    just make sure that network configurations is corrected like listener
    and tnsnames.ora files.

    RAC is more complex but here is just an overview of few obvious options.

    If you hostnames are changed than clean way wold be to re-instal CRS
    and Oracle homes. Another way would be a slight hack depending how
    adventurous you feel. I posted an example how to do change hostnames
    in RAC cluster without re-install - http://www.pythian.com/blogs/482/changing-hostnames-in-oracle-rac
    .

    If you don't need to change hostnames but only IP's than you probably
    will be fine reconfiguring your VIPs (http://www.pythian.com/blogs/210/oracle-10g-r2-rac-vip-on-wrong-interface
    ) and interconnect (previous link as before has reference as well).

    If you have more specific questions - let me know.

    Alex
    We are consolidating data centers and need to move a couple of Oracle
    databases, including a 3 node production RAC. This will require
    changing the IP address of every machine that is moved.

    I am opening an SR with Oracle, but real world pointers / tips /
    gotcha's / how-to's etc. on how to do this would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Oracle versions are 9.2.0.4, 10.1.0.5 (RAC) and 10.2.01 on Red Hat
    Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 1)
    (and yes, once the machines are moved we plan to upgrade Oracle)

    Thanks!
    --

    Angel Tirone
    Database Administrator III