Greetings,

I am looking at a two node rac cluster running on 32-bit RHEL4, oracle
10.2.0.3.0 SE and am puzzled by a discrepancy in the description of the
library and system as listed in the V$ASM_DISK view in the ASM instance.
The ASM and RDBMS are installed in separate homes. On node 1 I see the
following...

[root_at_spenser init.d]# ./oracleasm listdisks
VOL1

VOL2

VOL3

SQL> select library,path from v$asm_disk order by path;
LIBRARY PATH

System /dev/raw/raw1
System /dev/raw/raw10
System /dev/raw/raw2
System /dev/raw/raw3
System /dev/raw/raw5
System /dev/raw/raw6
System /dev/raw/raw7
System /dev/raw/raw8
System /dev/raw/raw9

On node 2 I see the following...

[root_at_hawk init.d]# ./oracleasm listdisks
VOL1

VOL2

VOL3

SQL> select library,path from v$asm_disk order by path;

LIBRARY PATH

System /dev/raw/raw1
System /dev/raw/raw10
System /dev/raw/raw2
System /dev/raw/raw3
System /dev/raw/raw5
System /dev/raw/raw6
System /dev/raw/raw7
System /dev/raw/raw8
System /dev/raw/raw9

ASM Library - Generic Linux, version 2.0.2 (KABI_V2)
ORCL:VOL1

ASM Library - Generic Linux, version 2.0.2 (KABI_V2)
ORCL:VOL2

ASM Library - Generic Linux, version 2.0.2 (KABI_V2)
ORCL:VOL3

As I understand it when the library is listed as system it means that
the asm_diskstring parameter is not set correctly. The puzzling thing is
that in the instance on each node it is set to null. The asm_diskgroup
parameter is set the same on each node, 'ASMGRP1, ASMGRP2'. I don't
understand what might have caused these to differ. If anyone can assist
I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center
wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu
(530) 754-6208

Search Discussions

  • Alex Gorbachev at Apr 3, 2008 at 12:49 am
    Did I understand you correctly - asm_diskgroup is empty on both nodes?
    If so, I think on node 1 you have some missing RPM's for ASMLib or
    something wrong with it so Oracle instance doesn't load ASMLib driver.
    Compare alert.log on both machines - it should mention loading ASMLib
    driver there if I recall correctly.

    On a slightly different note - consider getting rid of ASMLib - is it
    worth the pain and adding another layer of complexity?
[...]

  • William Wagman at Apr 3, 2008 at 9:25 pm
    Alex,

    Yes, asm_diskstring is not set on either node
    SQL> show parameter asm

    NAME TYPE VALUE
    ------------------------------------ -----------
    ------------------------------
    asm_diskgroups string ASMGRP1, ASMGRP2
    asm_diskstring string
    asm_power_limit integer 1

    I did check and all the oracleasm rpm's are present and installed,
    although whether or not correctly I don't know. I also looked at the
    alert log and on the first node found occurrences of the error...
    ORA-15183: ASMLIB initialization error [driver/agent not installed]
    ORA-15183: ASMLIB initialization error
    [/opt/oracle/extapi/32/asm/orcl/1/libasm.so]
    ORA-15183: ASMLIB initialization error [driver/agent not installed]

    I did find Metalink note 340519.1 which suggests reinstalling the RPM's
    and rebooting both nodes and see if the problem is resolved.

    Unless you, or anyone else, has some other thoughts I will give that a
    try.

    Thanks.

    Bill Wagman
    Univ. of California at Davis
    IET Campus Data Center
    wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu
    (530) 754-6208

[...]

  • William Wagman at Apr 3, 2008 at 10:41 pm
    Greetings,

    I reinstalled the RPMs on the node in question and rebooted and now
    things are behaving as I expect. I have no idea what went wrong but all
    appears well now.

    Thanks.

    Bill Wagman
    Univ. of California at Davis
    IET Campus Data Center
    wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu
    (530) 754-6208

[...]

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedApr 3, '08 at 12:06a
activeApr 3, '08 at 10:41p
websiteoracle.com

2 users in discussion

William Wagman: 3 posts Alex Gorbachev: 1 post