Ok, I know that at the end of alter index rebuild online, a lock is taken while the index that has been built is synchronized with the current state of the world as we know it. My question is this. How does one measure/monitor this lock? I know that on a normal "small" index, this lock is almost undetectable. However, on a 4TB OLTP system with a 95GB index on a 384GB table is not small nor will the sync to current state be undetectable. How does one measure/monitor this lock?

Thanks for any ideas or assistance!
John

  • Yong Huang at Apr 3, 2008 at 6:20 pm
    John, to "measure and monitor", isn't it just a matter of checking v$lock?
    Also, you can check what locks are taken during the entire process of
    rebuilding an index by setting event 10704 at level 10 in your session. The
    trace file should tell you.

    Yong Huang
    From: John D Parker

    Ok, I know that at the end of alter index rebuild online, a lock is taken while
    the index that has been built is synchronized with the current state of the
    world as we know it. My question is this. How does one measure/monitor this lock?
    I know that on a normal "small" index, this lock is almost undetectable.
    However, on a 4TB OLTP system with a 95GB index on a 384GB table is not small nor
    will the sync to current state be undetectable. How does one measure/monitor this
    lock?
    Thanks for any ideas or assistance!
    John
  • John D Parker at Apr 3, 2008 at 10:27 pm
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I was looking for something a bit more defined than just watch it run for XX hours and you'll see the locking occur. I've got the rebuild online running now on my 9.2.0.5 system, but I've still no idea of how to measure/monitor/quantify the impact of the sync process at the end. On other systems, I've inadvertently brought them to their knees with the sync at the end of rebuild online. Just looking to avoid that this time.

    john

    Yong Huang wrote: John, to "measure and monitor", isn't it just a matter of checking v$lock?

    From: John D Parker

    Ok, I know that at the end of alter index rebuild online, a lock is taken while
    the index that has been built is synchronized with the current state of the
    world as we know it. My question is this. How does one measure/monitor this lock?
    I know that on a normal "small" index, this lock is almost undetectable.
    However, on a 4TB OLTP system with a 95GB index on a 384GB table is not small nor
    will the sync to current state be undetectable. How does one measure/monitor this
    lock?
    Thanks for any ideas or assistance!
    John

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedApr 2, '08 at 7:15p
activeApr 3, '08 at 10:27p
websiteoracle.com

2 users in discussion

John D Parker: 2 posts Yong Huang: 1 post