I'm in the middle of a Grid Control installation on a
cold-failover-cluster. Just wanted to rant... this is a major pain. If
anyone has any tips or suggestions (problems you ran into and the solutions)
then I'd love to hear... maybe it could save me a headache or two. As if I
haven't head enough already. Sheesh.

FYI... it's on AIX (HACMP for failover), Data Guard for database failover,
storage on ASM. Basically doing a stripped-down version of Oracle's MAA
white paper on Grid Control (no RAC or clustered AS). A few of my headaches
were not Oracle's fault (the SA's and network guys here had a few duuh
moments) but doing GC on an AIX CFC has not been smooth by any means.

Search Discussions

  • Alex Gorbachev at Apr 1, 2008 at 8:48 pm
    Look into Groups in GC to configure for notifications and jobs.
    On role switch, you would only need to update group members (you would
    have two groups for cold failover primary and failover).
    Otherwise, it's pain to manage switchover.
    I'm actually working on similar setup of GC these days.

    --
    Jeremy Schneider
    Chicago, IL

    Good luck!

    Dan

    P.S. In rereading that, it's a bit ambiguous. Here's a snippet of a few
    of those note titles and numbers that look "interesting" and possibly
    applicable to what you might be encountering:
    How to Configure Grid Control OMS in Active/Passive Environment for HA
    failover

    Doc ID: Note:405642.1
    How to Configure Grid Control Repository in Active/Passive HA environments

    Doc ID: Note:405979.1
    How to Configure Grid Control Agents to Monitor Virtual Hostname in HA
    environments

    Doc ID: Note:406014.1
    How to Configure Grid Control Agents in Windows HA - Failover Cluster
    Environments

    Doc ID: Note:464191.1
    OMS not starting after install on an Active-Passive Cluster using a
    Virtual Hostname

    Doc ID: Note:430028.1
    Duplicates Targets in HA environment

    Doc ID: Note:550756.1

    Jeremy Schneider wrote:
    I'm in the middle of a Grid Control installation on a
    cold-failover-cluster. Just wanted to rant... this is a major pain.
    If anyone has any tips or suggestions (problems you ran into and the
    solutions) then I'd love to hear... maybe it could save me a headache
    or two. As if I haven't head enough already. Sheesh.

    FYI... it's on AIX (HACMP for failover), Data Guard for database
    failover, storage on ASM. Basically doing a stripped-down version of
    Oracle's MAA white paper on Grid Control (no RAC or clustered AS). A
    few of my headaches were not Oracle's fault (the SA's and network guys
    here had a few duuh moments) but doing GC on an AIX CFC has not been
    smooth by any means.

    --
    Jeremy Schneider
    Chicago, IL
    http://www.ardentperf.com/category/technical
  • Jeremy Schneider at Apr 2, 2008 at 9:24 pm
    Yeah I've read those notes over so many times now that I've started dreaming
    about them.

    I've basically learned two lessons:
    1. NEVER install grid control in March. No, I'm serious. (Hint: DST2007)
    2. Don't try to do a silent install of Grid Control. The installer is more
    braindead then you can possibly imagine.

    I think a blog post is forthcoming...
[...]

  • Alex Gorbachev at Apr 3, 2008 at 12:41 am
    Oh... I misunderstood that you are having fun monitoring cold failover
    cluster, not installing on it.
    Then indeed you have proper FUN. :)
    I remember I had to install GC in March last year - DST adventure was
    much less explored back then. Consider yourself lucky now - be
    optimistic!;-)

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedApr 1, '08 at 2:35p