There is a new Oracle White Paper on OTN that discusses 9i to 10g
upgrades, specifically regarding what to expect from the Optimizer. I
highly recommend reading it if you are planning 9i to 10g upgrades or
recently have performed upgrades. It contains many of the differences
and changes in default behavior of Optimizer and Statistics related
functionality.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/bi/db/10g/pdf/twp_bidw_optimizer_10gr2_0208.pdf

Search Discussions

  • Arul Ramachandran at Mar 1, 2008 at 4:42 am
    Thanks for sharing this white paper. This comes out only now, while 10g has
    been around for 2 years. While the contents of the paper are pretty good and
    definitely useful for customers who are planning to upgrade, for others who
    took the step to upgrade earlier had to go through several headaches. I've
    seen upgrade projects resort to setting o_f_e = 9.2.0 as in certain cases
    modifying the SQL was not an option. optimizer_secure_view_merging is an
    interesting feature, had I known about this earlier, I guess it would have
    saved some grief for a project that I was involved.

    Regards,
    Arul
    There is a new Oracle White Paper on OTN that discusses 9i to 10g
    upgrades, specifically regarding what to expect from the Optimizer. I
    highly recommend reading it if you are planning 9i to 10g upgrades or
    recently have performed upgrades. It contains many of the differences
    and changes in default behavior of Optimizer and Statistics related
    functionality.

    http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/bi/db/10g/pdf/twp_bidw_optimizer_10gr2_0208.pdf

    Greg Rahn
    http://structureddata.org

  • Zhu,Chao at Mar 2, 2008 at 6:33 pm
    Is there such similar paper regarding upgrade from 10g to 11g?

    On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Arul Ramachandran