I try here to run several instances, every one from different account,
but using the same installation, which is owned by yet another account.
I wonder if anyone could share similar experiances?

Main thing I am really confused is privileges on which an instance works.
Let's say that installation owner is oracle and there is another account
oratest from which we would like to run an instance with name ORATEST.
ORACLE_HOME for oratest is a link to binaries real location.
The instance starts on oracle privileges. Of course I can manage the
instance
from oratest account by sqlplus, but I would like to run it on oratest,
or in case that is impossible, just know the reasons behind that.

Can anybody explain what decides on which privileges the instance runs?

Thanks in advance
Remigiusz

--

Remigiusz Sokolowski
WP/PTI/DIP/ZAB (+04858) 52 15 770

MySQL v04.x,05.x; Oracle v10.x

Zastrzezenia:
1. Wylaczenie danej funkcjonalnosci oznacza, ze niezwlocznie przystapimy

lub juz pracujemy nad jej uruchomieniem
2. Niniejsza wiadomosc stanowi jedynie wyraz prywatnych pogladow autora

i nie jest w zadnym wypadku zwiazana ze stanowiskiem przedsiebiorstwa
Wirtualna Polska S.A.

WIRTUALNA POLSKA SA, ul. Traugutta 115c, 80-226 Gdansk; NIP: 957-07-51-216;
Sad Rejonowy Gdansk-Polnoc KRS 0000068548, kapital zakladowy 62.880.024 zlotych (w calosci wplacony)

  • Peter McLarty at Feb 5, 2008 at 12:46 pm
    Hi
    I will assume Unix or Linux as you mentioned links, only available in
    Windows 2008

    This isn't as silly as it sounds.
    Each user that you wish to run an instance under needs to be added to
    the DBA group, then they can run the installed binaries. No need for
    links, just tell the user to use that Oracle_home and run and create the
    database.

    I would however suggest that you dont use the same binaries i.e
    ORacle_Home for test/development and production. This will limit your
    ability to apply Oracle patches for testing prior to them going to
    production

    Cheers

    Peter
    I try here to run several instances, every one from different account,
    but using the same installation, which is owned by yet another account.
    I wonder if anyone could share similar experiances?

    Main thing I am really confused is privileges on which an instance works.
    Let's say that installation owner is oracle and there is another account
    oratest from which we would like to run an instance with name ORATEST.
    ORACLE_HOME for oratest is a link to binaries real location.
    The instance starts on oracle privileges. Of course I can manage the
    instance
    from oratest account by sqlplus, but I would like to run it on oratest,
    or in case that is impossible, just know the reasons behind that.

    Can anybody explain what decides on which privileges the instance runs?

    Thanks in advance
    Remigiusz
  • Remigiusz Sokolowski at Feb 5, 2008 at 1:25 pm

    Peter McLarty wrote:
    Hi
    I will assume Unix or Linux as you mentioned links, only available in
    Windows 2008
    yes - I apologize I forgot to mention that, db is 10.2.0.1 btw.
    This isn't as silly as it sounds.
    Each user that you wish to run an instance under needs to be added to
    the DBA group, then they can run the installed binaries.
    It is so - however processes are running on installer account privileges
    No need for links, just tell the user to use that Oracle_home and run
    and create the database.

    I would however suggest that you dont use the same binaries i.e
    ORacle_Home for test/development and production. This will limit your
    ability to apply Oracle patches for testing prior to them going to
    production
    linking allows for applying patches and modifying binaries any way one
    wants - one can always add new binaries and change link.
    On the other hand using ORACLE_HOME variable has the same abilities -
    one can change its content.
    As a disadvantage one can see need for a discipline - one needs to
    remember, which patches were applied or any other custom modifications -
    but I think it is always a good thing anyway to know exactly, what one
    have installed.
    And one account for binaries would be kind of repository, while other
    accounts could link to any binaries they want.
    However as I said earlier - I don't understand why an instance runs on
    the privileges of an installer acount.
    In general that can be in such state, however sometimes would be nice to
    have a possibility to kill some processes on the operating system level.

    Regards
    Remigiusz

    Remigiusz Sokolowski
    WP/PTI/DIP/ZAB (+04858) 52 15 770
    MySQL v04.x,05.x; Oracle v10.x

    Zastrzezenia:
    1. Wylaczenie danej funkcjonalnosci oznacza, ze niezwlocznie przystapimy
    lub juz pracujemy nad jej uruchomieniem
    2. Niniejsza wiadomosc stanowi jedynie wyraz prywatnych pogladow autora
    i nie jest w zadnym wypadku zwiazana ze stanowiskiem przedsiebiorstwa
    Wirtualna Polska S.A.

    WIRTUALNA POLSKA SA, ul. Traugutta 115c, 80-226 Gdansk; NIP: 957-07-51-216;
    Sad Rejonowy Gdansk-Polnoc KRS 0000068548, kapital zakladowy 62.880.024 zlotych (w calosci wplacony)
  • Finn Jorgensen at Feb 5, 2008 at 4:37 pm
    It is so - however processes are running on installer account privileges
    I'm pretty sure this is because of the sticky bits set on the
    $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle executable, which is necessary.

    Finn

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedFeb 5, '08 at 12:16p