I have always worked with Unix (mostly Solaris) as the OS for Oracle. When I need to upgrade, for example from 10.2.0.2 to 10.2.0.3, I would create a new Oracle home, install 10.2.0.1 followed by 10.2.0.3. After upgrading if something went wrong I could easily restore the instance, and bring it up under the old home basically by changing the entries in oratab.

I would like to do the same thing in Windows, can someone point me to a document that has the steps to accomplish this on a windows platform. What's the equivalent of oratab in Windows?

Thanks - Mike

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Looking for last minute shopping deals?

  • Niall Litchfield at Feb 3, 2008 at 2:35 pm
    Michael

    The same broad approach will work but there are some differences. The new
    home will get a new registry tree (under HKLM\Software\Oracle ) and you use
    oradim to create and delete the windows services for the database. The
    autostart or not nature of the database is an attribute of the service (and
    oradim will set it), The Oracle Home that runs the service is determined by
    which Oracle Home oradim was run from to create the service.

    Niall

    ------------------------------
    Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51734/*http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping>

    Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51438/*http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs>