I have a expdp file taken from Database A on Server A where the data was encrypted and then stored in an encrypted file with encryption_password. I want to import the data into Database B on Server B. My understanding is that I need to use the encryption_password to use that file, however, since the master key (wallet) on the two servers is different, how can I import the data into Database B on Server B without running into issues? What is the impdp command that should be used? Do you have to regenerate something after importing the data into Database B on Server B since the master key will not be in sync with the imported data?

  • Prasad at Feb 1, 2008 at 10:08 pm
    it has been a while I did something like this . and the syntax were as below
    expdp system/manager dumpfile=test.dmp directory=tmp_dir
    tables=scott.empencryption_password=welcome123
    impdp system/manager tables=emp dumpfile=test.dmp directory=tmp_dir
    encryption_password=welcome123 REMAP_SCHEMA=scott:system
    remap_tablespace=users:system

    after reboot of database

    SQL> alter system set encryption wallet open identified by "welcome123";

    hope this helps.
    -Prasad
    I have a expdp file taken from Database A on Server A where the data was
    encrypted and then stored in an encrypted file with encryption_password. I
    want to import the data into Database B on Server B. My understanding is
    that I need to use the encryption_password to use that file, however, since
    the master key (wallet) on the two servers is different, how can I import
    the data into Database B on Server B without running into issues? What is
    the impdp command that should be used? Do you have to regenerate something
    after importing the data into Database B on Server B since the master key
    will not be in sync with the imported data?

    ------------------------------
    Climb to the top of the charts! Play the word scramble challenge with star
    power. Play now!<http://club.live.com/star_shuffle.aspx?icid=starshuffle_wlmailtextlink_jan>
  • Stefan Knecht at Feb 2, 2008 at 10:34 am
    There is no connection between the encryption that takes place in the
    export dumpfile and the encryption in the database tables.

    The master protects the keys used to encrypt column data (one key per table
    if I recall correctly).

    When you're exporting encrypted columns, per default they're written to the
    dumpfile in plaintext form. To avoid this, you can supply the
    encryption_password parameter, which will cause the data to be stored
    encrypted (and protected solely by your password, no connection to the
    master key there).

    When you're importing the datafile, wether it contains encrypted data or
    not, the data can be imported into encrypted columns or plaintext columns.
    The encryption inside the new database is controlled by the master key of
    the new database. Should your dumpfile be encrypted with a password, you'll
    have to supply that password upon import to be able to decrypt the data.
    Again, there's no connection to the master key of the new database there.

    See
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14215/dp_export.htm#sthref79

    Cheers

    Stefan

    --
    =========================

    Stefan P Knecht
    Senior Consultant
    Infrastructure Managed Services

    Trivadis AG
    Europa-Strasse 5
    CH-8152 Glattbrugg

    Phone +41-44-808 70 20
    Fax +41-808 70 12
    Mobile +41-79-571 36 27
    stefan.knecht_at_trivadis.com
    http://www.trivadis.com

    OCP 9i/10g SCSA SCNA

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedFeb 1, '08 at 8:43p
activeFeb 2, '08 at 10:34a
websiteoracle.com

3 users in discussion

J. Dex: 1 post Stefan Knecht: 1 post Prasad: 1 post