Has anyone gotten Oracle's Linux to run properly on VMWare? I don't know alot about linux anyway.. so it may just be me. I can't get the networking to work.
I am using Bridge Connection in VMWare(as Howard Rogers recommends on www.dizwell.com)
I am using a static IP. I ran an IP config on my Windows XP host and used the IP address from here:
Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet1:
I changed the last number by one digit. So 195.175.25.1 became 195.175.25.1 and used a subnet mask of: 255.255.255.0
I can contanct my host, but I can't get to the internet. Also, when I use dhcp my network service will not even start.
Been through the vmware and redhat docs. Again I don't pretend to be a systems administrator, but this can't be that complicated.

Search Discussions

  • Neil Overend at Sep 3, 2007 at 9:59 pm
    I've had Oracle's Linux working on VMWare with a WinXP host.

    With a bridging Network the IP address of the Linux Server must be a
    valid IP address on the network that the host is on, i.e. don't use
    the same IP as the host. The VM will then appear on the network as if
    it were a stand alone machine. In fact when you install the guest OS
    you should just imagine you are installing it on a new machine, forget
    that it's running on VMWare.

    Also don't change anything in the VMware Network Adapters, I don't
    know how it works but it seems to me that VMWare manages them, you
    don't need to do anything with them.

    I've installed various versions of Linux (Oracle, Red Hat, Ubuntu),
    Win2k, WinXP and the networking (DHCP and Static IP) all worked out of
    the box without problems.

    Neil
  • Amar Kumar Padhi at Sep 3, 2007 at 10:41 pm
    For vmware networking I have mostly used Natting with success, sorry cant comment on the bridge option.

    If your intention is to have the VM Showing up as another server on the Network, then I think your approach is right. This is a wild guess - you can probably fiddle with the IPaddr on the VM and make it in sync with your static IP.

    For internet access. Check if it has to do with Proxy, replicate any proxy Settings present on win to linux.

    Thanks!
    Amar