Platform is Oracle 10.

I thought that ASMM was enabled by setting sga_target to a non-zero
value.

But I recently read the notes below, which confused me.

Do I really need to set shared_pool_size to a non-zero value? I thought
the whole point of ASMM was that oracle calculated shared_pool_size?

Oracle Automatic Shared Memory Management is enabled by setting:

You must use an spfile for the init.ora values

sga_target parameter is set to a non-zero value

statistics_level parameter set to to TYPICAL (the default) or
ALL

shared_pool_size must be set to a non-zero value

John Dunn

Product Consultant

Sefas Innovation Limited

Direct Dial + 44 (0) 117 373 6122

www.sefas.com

Sefas Innovation Ltd, CityPoint, Temple Gate, Bristol BS1 6PL, UK. Tel:
+44 (0) 117 373 6114 Fax: +44 (0) 117 373 6115

Sefas Innovation Limited. Registered No: 3769761 England. Registered
Office: One New Street, Wells, Somerset, BA5 2LA, United Kingdom. VAT
Registration No: GB 741 5377 32

Unless stated to be non-confidential, this email and any attachments are
private and confidential and are for the addressee only. Sefas monitors
e-mails to ensure its systems operate effectively and to minimize the
risk of viruses. Whilst Sefas has taken reasonable steps to scan this
email, it does not accept liability for any virus that may be contained
in it.

Internet communications are not 100% secure and as such Sefas is not
responsible for their abuse by 3rd parties, nor for any alteration or
corruption in transmission.

Search Discussions

  • John Dunn at Aug 10, 2007 at 11:32 am
    <>

    But presumably if you set sga_max_size, it will only try to use up to
    that value?

    John