Hi all,

I'm working on a capacity plan for the upgrade of database server from 9iR2
to 10g on RAC,

Any recommendation on additional resource I should cater for in terms of
CPU, memory and storage ?

Assuming I run the same application and shall use some 'standard' new
features of 10g such as AWR.

Thanks,

Michael

Search Discussions

  • Mark W. Farnham at Jul 6, 2007 at 3:04 pm
    Without an examination of the "before" environment and load versus the
    incumbent hardware and the current gap or headroom between actual
    performance and service level requirements I think it would be less than
    responsible to spit back a reply.

    BUT: One thing I can urge you to do is dump out the existing plans of your
    essential and most frequently used queries (regardless of current query cost
    as planned with 9iR2). While there is a general improvement in performance
    going to 10g, it is almost certain that some of your current queries will
    get replanned under 10g such that they consume an inordinate amount of
    resources. Being able to look back to see a plan that worked well is a huge
    shortcut to reestablishing a good plan in 10g. If you can leave a testbed
    behind on your current release, then of course you can wait to generate the
    old acceptable plan for any queries that become noticeable after the
    upgrade. Also, this may eliminate exercises in "plan tweaking" if the old
    plan was the same or demonstrably worse so you can quickly turn your efforts
    to looking for a bottleneck or dysfunction in the environment of the new
    database.

    Regards,

    mwf

    I'm working on a capacity plan for the upgrade of database server from 9iR2
    to 10g on RAC,

    Any recommendation on additional resource I should cater for in terms of
    CPU, memory and storage ?

    Assuming I run the same application and shall use some 'standard' new
    features of 10g such as AWR.

    Thanks,

    Michael

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedJul 6, '07 at 5:56a
activeJul 6, '07 at 3:04p
websiteoracle.com

2 users in discussion

Michael Chan: 1 post Mark W. Farnham: 1 post