Following on from this discussion, what is the take up on Linux 64 bit
vs 32 bit for Oracle? The main reason for going with 64 bit seems to
be for a large SGA, particularly the non buffer cache sections.
Although large is relative; a 2Gb SGA is not considered large any
more.

The reasons for staying with 32 bit seems to be perceived driver
immaturity with the 64 bit versions leading to some reports of slower
disk i/o.

I believe the latest versions of the proprietary *nixes (e.g. Solaris,
HP) are now 64 bit.

Basically, if you are building a Linux server to run Oracle would you
go with 64 or 32 bit and why?

Ray

Search Discussions

  • Peter McLarty at Jun 13, 2007 at 3:53 am
    We are running a cluster here of Linux 64 servers for the testing
    environment we have multiple instances running on nodes and don't need
    any funny switches etc to run instances to consume 16G.

    Why 64 just to move away from any bottlenecks that can occur in the
    32bit space.

    Commercial *nixes have generally supported 64 bit for quite some time,
    this isn't a new invention for them, whats different is that they don't
    provide any hardware to allow you to run the latest in 32 bit so its not
    an either or option anymore, you just get 64 bit hardware and a 64 bit
    OS

    Cheers

    Peter

    Following on from this discussion, what is the take up on Linux 64 bit
    vs 32 bit for Oracle? The main reason for going with 64 bit seems to be
    for a large SGA, particularly the non buffer cache sections.
    Although large is relative; a 2Gb SGA is not considered large any more.

    The reasons for staying with 32 bit seems to be perceived driver
    immaturity with the 64 bit versions leading to some reports of slower
    disk i/o.

    I believe the latest versions of the proprietary *nixes (e.g. Solaris,
    HP) are now 64 bit.

    Basically, if you are building a Linux server to run Oracle would you go
    with 64 or 32 bit and why?

    Ray

  • Amar kumar padhi at Jun 16, 2007 at 4:03 pm
    We have run Oracle database in 64-bit mode on all our Unix platforms.
    With linux we opted for 32-bit few years back. I believe this was so
    because the fixes were available much faster in 32-bit than in 64-bit,
    so the support was better off dealing with 32-bit then.

    Now we are geared to move to 64-bit hardware and OS. We want to avail
    all advantages that may not be possible in 32-bit.

    Thanks!
    amar

    Ray Feighery wrote:
    Following on from this discussion, what is the take up on Linux 64 bit
    vs 32 bit for Oracle? The main reason for going with 64 bit seems to
    be for a large SGA, particularly the non buffer cache sections.
    Although large is relative; a 2Gb SGA is not considered large any
    more.

    The reasons for staying with 32 bit seems to be perceived driver
    immaturity with the 64 bit versions leading to some reports of slower
    disk i/o.

    I believe the latest versions of the proprietary *nixes (e.g. Solaris,
    HP) are now 64 bit.

    Basically, if you are building a Linux server to run Oracle would you
    go with 64 or 32 bit and why?

    Ray

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle