Hi All,

I am having an IBM xSeries 346 Server and i have installed RedHat ES
3.0(32-bit OS).
I am planning to install Oracle 10G Release 2.
The hardware has 8Gb RAM and Intel Xeon Processor.

According to my Database administrator, he says that if the OS is not 64-bit
then the database cannot use the complete 8GB RAM.

But from my previous experience, we were having oracle 10g and we were
running on RedHat ES 3.0 (32-bit) and it was working fine.

Can you guys advice me on this...

Should i upgrade to 64-bit OS so that Oracle uses 8GB RAM ??

Thanks in advance,

Search Discussions

  • Michael Haddon at Jun 11, 2007 at 1:09 am
    Anurag -

    With some kernel mods (BigOS Kernel or some such, been a long time) and
    relinking the Oracle binary to load into an address in memory above the
    2 Gig mark. This is well known and should have instructions on Metalink.

    Here is one article on the memory for SGA in different Kernel configurations

    https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=130:14:10558301721973537125::::p14_database_id,p14_docid,p14_show_header,p14_show_help,p14_black_frame,p14_font:NOT,260152.1,1,1,1,helvetica

    Hope this helps,

    Mike

    Anurag Verma wrote:
    Hi All,

    I am having an IBM xSeries 346 Server and i have installed RedHat ES
    3.0 (32-bit OS).
    I am planning to install Oracle 10G Release 2.
    The hardware has 8Gb RAM and Intel Xeon Processor.

    According to my Database administrator, he says that if the OS is not
    64-bit then the database cannot use the complete 8GB RAM.

    But from my previous experience, we were having oracle 10g and we were
    running on RedHat ES 3.0 (32-bit) and it was working fine.

    Can you guys advice me on this...

    Should i upgrade to 64-bit OS so that Oracle uses 8GB RAM ??

    Thanks in advance,

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedJun 11, '07 at 12:36a
activeJun 11, '07 at 1:09a
websiteoracle.com

2 users in discussion

Anurag Verma: 1 post Michael Haddon: 1 post