Yeah, I know It's not supported. Here's the scenario:

Current:
HPUX, 9.2.0.5, 2TB Warehouse

Moving to:
AIX5L (5300), 10.2.0.3 Size/function same.

Would like to try using expdp/impdp as method of moving data. Is it
possible to install the datapump scripts (dbmsdp.sql, catdph.sql,
catdpb.sql, etc.) into a 9i database for using the expdp from a remote
client? Has anyone tried it? My export area is mounted on the AIX box
so if I could use the 10g client to export it down and then import it up
locally would be my best scenario.

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions...

Rodd Holman

Search Discussions

  • Rodd Holman at Apr 19, 2007 at 5:33 pm
    Greg,

    It's a good article with obvious advantages. Issue at hand is that, in
    addition to the db upgrade I'm also redesigning the
    underlying tablespace structure for data archival purposes. The current
    DW is a homegrown monster that started out with no budget and patchwork
    equipment. It has basically been duct taped and bailing wired
    together. Think of a "redneck mansion" 5 trailer houses with connecting
    porches. I'm using this opportunity to rebuild the base, create the
    tables as empty on the new structure, and then export/import the data.
    Better, stronger, faster...

    Greg Rahn wrote:
    Have you considered upgrading to 10.2 and then using cross platform
    transportable tablespaces?

    http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/htdocs/xtts.htm

    Regards,

    Greg Rahn
    http://structureddata.org

    Yeah, I know It's not supported. Here's the scenario:

    Current:
    HPUX, 9.2.0.5, 2TB Warehouse

    Moving to:
    AIX5L (5300), 10.2.0.3 Size/function same.

    Would like to try using expdp/impdp as method of moving data. Is it
    possible to install the datapump scripts (dbmsdp.sql, catdph.sql,
    catdpb.sql, etc.) into a 9i database for using the expdp from a
    remote client? Has anyone tried it? My export area is mounted on
    the AIX box so if I could use the 10g client to export it down and
    then import it up locally would be my best scenario.

    Ideas, thoughts, suggestions...

    Rodd Holman
  • Greg Rahn at Apr 19, 2007 at 6:45 pm
    You may also consider just using transportable tablespaces to get the
    data local. Use direct path insert (or move/rebuild) the tables into
    the new tablespaces. Drop the old stuff when you are done.

    If you consider the upgrade on the source, you have solved your datapump
    issue as well.

    Regards,

    Greg Rahn
    http://structureddata.org

    Yeah, I know It's not supported. Here's the scenario:

    Current:
    HPUX, 9.2.0.5, 2TB Warehouse

    Moving to:
    AIX5L (5300), 10.2.0.3 Size/function same.

    Would like to try using expdp/impdp as method of moving data. Is it
    possible to install the datapump scripts (dbmsdp.sql, catdph.sql,
    catdpb.sql, etc.) into a 9i database for using the expdp from a
    remote client? Has anyone tried it? My export area is mounted on
    the AIX box so if I could use the 10g client to export it down and
    then import it up locally would be my best scenario.

    Ideas, thoughts, suggestions...

    Rodd Holman

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle