All,

Does anyone know how memory usage in 10g differs from 9i in AIX 5.3. We are beginning the upgrade process and do not know if the memory needs will change between versions.

I am most concerned with PGA memory, we found a memory leak in 9.2.0.6 that caused some issues and we want to make sure we have adequate memory in 10g

Tarik

Do You Yahoo!?
http://mail.yahoo.com

  • Dennis Williams at Apr 17, 2007 at 12:49 am
    Tarik,

    Since your question did not receive a reply, I'm guessing the answer isn't a
    simple one. Memory requirements are significantly different in 10g (guess
    more). Are you truly only concerned with PGA memory? If so, perhaps you
    could take a representative test on 9i, measure the PGA, then run the same
    test on 10g. Again, I haven't studied this issue in detail, but since you
    didn't get any replies, I thought maybe this would either help you or
    provoke someone more knowledgable into replying.

    Dennis Williams
  • Alexander Fatkulin at Apr 17, 2007 at 1:50 am
    Tarik,

    we do not use AIX but we did 9i->10GR2 upgrades on Linux, HP-UX and Solaris.

    We noticed only one significant PGA memory management change - shared
    servers can now use pga_aggreagte_target (however this can lead to a
    situation where INACTIVE session can "steal" the shared server process
    if that session touches the auto managed PGA memory without closing
    the relevant cursor). So if you have shared servers and
    pga_aggreagte_target set - you will experience different memory
    allocation.

    Apart from that everything else worked fine with the 9i PGA related
    settings. You can also refer to 10G Upgrade Guide on the general "what
    need to be changed" topic.

    HTH.