Good afternoon, all,

I'd like to learn how others in the field are using Oracle's OID/LDAP implementation to resolve database connect strings:

What LDAP server do you use in the background and how is that working for you? What version?

Do you have more than one OID server? If so, do you have them configured to automatically replicate the entries to each other? Any gotchas with that?

How have you chosen to implement failover between the two? Primary/secondary entries in a sqlnet.ora? Single entry in sqlnet.ora, and an IP address with round-robin DNS? Other? How has it worked for you?

How many non-OID databases do you have? What versions? At what level of transactional/resolution load do you find you need a secondary OID server?

Any words of wisdom or things you'd wished you'd known sooner?

If you will reply to me privately, I'd be glad to post a follow-up message with a summary of the responses received.

Thanks much - woo hoo!, my first oracle-l post! -
Mary Elizabeth McNeely

Search Discussions

  • Mary Elizabeth McNeely at Mar 2, 2007 at 6:11 pm
    I haven't received much response, so I'll broaden the scope to "anyone using OID". Hope to hear from you!

    Thanks -
    Mary Elizabeth

[...]

  • Frits Hoogland at Mar 3, 2007 at 4:29 pm
    Mary, I've setup oracle names resolution using fedora directory server

    (a LDAP server which used to be netscape directory server, then became sun
    directory server, and now is open sourced by redhat, and available as either
    'redhat directory server' and 'fedora directory server'. it's known to be
    rocksolid)

    I've build two servers actually, setup with multimaster replication
    (replicating to each other), with heartbeat passing on the cluster ip
    address.

    The setup requires some tweaking, but I've described it:
    - http://frits.homelinux.com/wordpress/?p=7 (part 1)
    - http://frits.homelinux.com/wordpress/?p=8 (part 2)

    In essence, what needs to be done is making oracle specific objects in ldap,
    for storing the connectstrings. Not a very big deal. As long as oracle uses
    LDAP for communications (using the LDAP rfc, don't know number out of my
    head), it works. It works now (until oracle client en server 10gr2), and as
    long as oracle doesn't 'invent' their own ldap extentions (like microsoft
    tends to do), it will be working.

    I use it to have a central point for connectstrings in a 10 persons DBA
    environment. There is a drawback: the way I've set it up, we cannot add
    connectstrings using the oracle tools. We copy "template" connectstring, and
    fill out the connection specific details: host, port, sid.

    If you want more details, mail me directly.

    frits
[...]

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedFeb 27, '07 at 5:00p